This is what Really Causes Heart Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditch the cigarettes and cigars, drink in moderation, keep your BMI under 30, vigorous exercise 30 minutes 3x per week.

My dad was fit as an ox, a straight-A student who boxed, captain of the football team, baseball player, runner, later decorated WW-II vet...dropped dead at age 50...Camels and gin did him in.

My dad was a fighter pilot in WWII and Korea, smoked cigarettes until he was 76, drank till he died at 87.

Anecdotal evidence.

George Burns lived to 100 probably died with his cigar in mouth. My father did tequila and pipes/cigars and lived to 81, don't ignore the quality of life issue when talking about longevity. He had constant lung issues starting at 55.

Last edited:
Ditch the cigarettes and cigars, drink in moderation, keep your BMI under 30, vigorous exercise 30 minutes 3x per week.

Pretty sensible, little lower target BMI (30 is still risk-factor central), and I'd argue that the literature points more towards consistent exercise than necessarily a specific schedule being best.

But this is more of a "+1" post than a criticism.

According to Jarred Diamond (who studied indigenous people in Papua New Guinea and other South Pacific Island nations) there is something in our lifestyle/diet that fosters our increased health issues. This conclusion is based on seeing indigenous people over the last 50 years who previously did not display our issues transition to modern lifestyle/diet and develop the same health issues.

I'm a heart patient. When I got home I started looking, reading and studying like the rest of us would do. So;

If you speak with 10 different people; doctors, nutrition, fitness, et al.... you will receive 10 different answers as to the proper course of action. Each will say the others are idiots. (hmmm, where have I heard this before?)

I realized I had to find what works for me and the heck with the doctors because what works for me does not work for others I know with heart issues. There are so many variables; lifestyle, genes and who knows what else. No one has yet to find the magic bullet or it's be all over the news.

The previous comments about statins are also true. 10-20% of the population can not take them without bad side affects. You aren't told this when they are prescribed....

The stories I could tell.

Inflammation and diet

I think that the article is generally correct about the mix of fats we consume, and the consumption of refined foods.

What the article misses is the exposure to oxidized cholesterol. The Russians discovered back in the 1970s that when cholesterol is oxidized, it is a potent free radical which damages the inside walls of your arteries. Exposed to this bombardment of oxidized cholesterol on a regular basis causes a narrowing of the arteries and the incorporation of the cholesterol into the artery walls.

To prevent most of your exposure to oxidized cholesterol, avoid dried meats, ground meats and meats cooked at a high temperature (BBQ). Dried egg noodles are also very bad. Avoiding meats altogether is best, since meats are generally poor sources of nutrition, unless if you are an athlete and require fairly large doses of protein, then consume whole, low fat meat sources, such as chicken breast, but only in moderation.

You can do a search on this and find a number of articles about it - here is one:
Lipid researcher, 98, reports on the dietary causes of heart disease -- ScienceDaily

Meats and fats are essential, but they have to be of highest quality. Our bodies did not get used to burned fats and meats during evolution. They can't recognize them and use as if they are good.
Most dangerous things in food are those that increase volumes of production and shelf life. Except fermentation that was used for ages.

I don't think that Meats are essential...

I agree that fats are essential (hence the term "essential fatty acids"). However, there is nothing in meat that cannot be obtained from other sources. I think that the only thing which is claimed to be provided by meat which is not provided by vegetables is Vit B12. However, studies show that when consuming vegetables, the natural bacteria on the vegetables contain vitamin B12, so you end up getting Vit B12 anyways.

The other problems with meat are:
no fiber, which is necessary for our intestines to function normally

acid forming, which causes osteoporosis

no phytochemicals and enzymes, which help the body function and are associated with lower rates of cancer

Can contain prions, from mad cow disease, which is damaging to the brain

Greater risk of exposure to bad bacteria and parasites

Animals are huge consumers of water and energy and providing grazing pastures causes deforestation - thus is damaging to our climate and uses much more resources on a planet already overconsuming its resources

I will say this, according to the Eat for your Blood Type book, the Type O blood type is most compatible with meat, and some of those with type O blood type I speak to believe that eating meat makes them feel better. This does not confirm that they must eat meat, though.

"Hence my comments earlier. You guys aren't doctors and you'll sit here explaining how your viewpoint is the only one that is correct.

I love it. Just like audio."

I hope that you are not talking about me, I don't claim that my viewpoint is the only one. I suggest that people who eat meat read up about oxidized cholesterol though - it is free nutritional advice.

I also suggest that if you care about the planet, that you give up eating meat. Moving to a plant-based diet is #4 on the list, from most to least impactful, for addressing climate change based on an analysis contained in a book named Drawdown by Paul Hawken.

It is well documented that doctors here in the US have little education about nutrition - it is NOT a focus of our medical system - which is unfortunate as most chronic diseases are caused by diet and other environmental factors, most of which can be controlled. Our medical system is designed to treat symptoms, not causes, pretty pathetic actually.....

By the way, my masters degree is in toxicology.

Status
Not open for further replies.