• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"The Wire" Official Boards for All Projects Available Here! BAL-BAL, SE-SE, LPUHP

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I really should build a couple of LPUHPs. Too good to miss out on. :) I have enough LME49600s kicking around now I probably won't even have to buy any. I've added myself to the spreadsheet but I'll be gone the next couple of weeks for the holidays. Cheers!

Perfect segue!

I wanted to let everyone know that every order has now been shipped (including the ones added to the list yesterday) and I will be taking a break over the holidays. No shipments will happen between now and January 4th, so if you have a new order, please add your name to the list as outlined in the first post, and I will send out payment requests in the new year!

Cheers,
Owen

hi,
i wired up the psu for my se-se tonight and it works ;-) almost wired the transformer wrong, though (dual primary/dual secondary). the most challenging part was soldering the 22uF 1210 caps. had a heck of a time getting the solder to wick down to the pads :/

i'm seeing +15.28 / - 15.08. is this an acceptable match? 1.3% by my calculation. i'm not clear on how important a close match of the supplies is for this.

thanks,
-matt

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Matt,

Glad you didn't plug that transformer in backwards! That would have been instant death for the PSU.

I agree with you on those 1210 caps... they are a pain and certainly my least favorite part to solder out of all these boards.

You rail voltages look great, and there's no need to adjust anything. You can trim the voltage by adding high value resistors in parallel with the two set resistors, but there will not be any benefit.

Now let's see if you can get the SE-SE done before the holidays! It's far easier than the PSU, so at least there's that :)

Cheers,
Owen

Joined 2003
Paid Member
<SNIP>
As for the shunt reg, it's the LT parts that end up breaking the bank, and the two tantalum caps are replaced with Panasonic polymer parts which are some of my new favorite things.
<SNIP>
Owen

<SNIP>
The Panasonic SP caps are very nice indeed, qusp pointed them out when he was using them on his low profile BAL-BAL from memory and he gave me some LT1963 regulator PCBs and I've used some of the SP-caps on there too I think.
<SNIP>Chris

Owen and Chris (and Qusp if listening),

Can you say more about why to use the Panasonic SP caps instead of the Tants or X7R Ceramics? I'm getting ready to build up some of Ian's TPS7A4700 boards and am considering substituting the SP's for his Tants.

TIA!

Greg in Mississippi

Owen and Chris (and Qusp if listening),

Can you say more about why to use the Panasonic SP caps instead of the Tants or X7R Ceramics? I'm getting ready to build up some of Ian's TPS7A4700 boards and am considering substituting the SP's for his Tants.

TIA!

Greg in Mississippi

I've replied to your similar post in Ian's FIFO thread with more detail ... http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...mate-weapon-fight-jitter-311.html#post3747614 ... the tl;dr version is that with the TPS7A4700 it needs to have some damping for resonance on the input, check page 12 of the datasheet for their recommendations for input caps.

I finished smd soldering of my four lpuhp boards. It was my first experience with smd stuff and it took me like for ever to finish those 4 boards!!!

When I first saw the size of the resistors I was kinda scared but in the end it's pretty easy ;)

I'm only missing my transformers to finaly listen how they sound. Can't wait!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Edit: I didn't noticed C69 is going freestyle but it should be ok I guess

Last edited:
I connected my amps to a test speaker this afternoon.

They're dead silent, I cannot hear anything even with my ear stick on the drivers. Offset oscillate between 0-1.5mv with a source connected. (Single ended)

So far so good it's a great little amplifier. I'll connect them soon to my active speaker once I'll be done with my new DAC build to finally evaluate the quality of the LPUHP.

PandazYa

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've connected my lpuhp to my transformer and I measure a perfect +/- 18.13VDC to the second capacitor and something like 2.3mv dc-offset with no source connected. Offset looks good but we are not supposed to have 15v instead of 18v?

This was my bad... I kept saying 15V a little ways back when I was helping with troubleshooting, but it should indeed be +/-18V.

Buildmesomething already had you covered, and I see you've got everything up and running, so you should be good to go!

I'm glad to see so many of these getting up and running :)

Cheers,
Owen

I'm going to use this ebay.com/itm/1-506-Full-Aluminium-Mini-Headphone-Amp-Enclosure-Case-/121144811488 enclosure in my The Wire SE-SE. Anyone tried it before? Or maybe someone can recommend something better.
BTW. idk why ebay links are not working correctly

Last edited:
Pre to match the lateral fet

Hey anyone have any recommendations on a preamp that might match the lateral fet design? I have some magneplanars that I'm thinking of driving with the amps. Probably use an active pre too.

Thinking simple kit - maybe even passive.

Thanks in advance!