"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
neb001:

I share your general frustration with the lack of 120V support. I was almost going to decline even testing them when I figured that out.

If you happen to be building a multi-channel HT amplifier with 225W/CH, then I'd say it's a no-brainer for anyone in North America to just run a dedicated 230V outlet. You'll get better and more stable power, and since you can only draw about 1800W from your typical 15A 120V circuit, you'll quickly find that you're taxing the circuit with higher power multi channel amplifiers.

For those looking to build stereo amps, it's probably not worth the trouble to run dedicated 230V outlets just for a pair of amplifiers, in which case, like me, your search for a good supply will have to continue.

Regards,
Owen

Hi,
Dear neb001, please do not think I force you to buy, it is understandable to understand the state of mind, after talking so much of this SMPS.
may take a dps-500/DS (if you want), this was developed after the DPS-600 and maintains the same speed in the response. The "D" version, is priced very close to the DPS-600 and maybe I can take up to two for you, adding a small discount, just for this occasion. I'm sorry, I have no other way to help.

Regards

My apologies for not reading thoroughly on SMPS input voltage, please remove me from group by list. I would be interested dps-500/DS but would like to see it tested. Thank you for your work and support AP2.

Thanks
Bill

Hi,
Np, i'm availlable , this can help products and company, so it's good.
I hope that diy use this way with other smps...:)

then, Owen agree on this new test? (DPS-500)
P.S. at short show startup correct on dps-600.

Regards

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi AP2,

I'd be happy to test a DPS-500 for all of us 120V people. It would be much easier for me to test something that is 120V native.

Let's see if we can get that arranged and tested as soon as possible. I get the feeling people are going to want to start moving on this very soon.

Regards,
Owen

Most of the Hypex Ncore guys go for the Hypex SMPS, which is a low and high line voltage unit, so they (Hypex) seem to be a bit more clever in this regard.
Is it so complex and cost enhancing to supply the SMPS with low and high line voltage inputs?
Still curious how a high quality linear supply would perform in comparison, but I am not optimistic to get some feedback here in that regard.

Especially for those planning to use multiple amps in an active multiway system to me it seems attractive to go for a good linear supply; it will be much easier then to provide each amp with the appropriate power supply voltage. Think of high voltage/low bias for bass amp and lower voltage/higher bias for mid and treble amps to squeeze out maximum performance.
By the way these remarks are not meant to disqualify AP's SMPS in any way.

Most of the Hypex Ncore guys go for the Hypex SMPS, which is a low and high line voltage unit, so they (Hypex) seem to be a bit more clever in this regard.
Is it so complex and cost enhancing to supply the SMPS with low and high line voltage inputs?
Still curious how a high quality linear supply would perform in comparison, but I am not optimistic to get some feedback here in that regard.

difference on cost can be (real) 3€ in a simple way to switch both ac voltage. dps-500 have switch for 110/230.
Dps-600 not have, becouse it born for other special application.
I think that...one is all said "very well..very good" other is show real measure. without this, all are perfect..with word.
If measure on this thread at begin, are with linear supply, then is incredible the difference with dps-600, just in infuence of harmonics at output of amplifier. (apart from the dynamic result, impossible to obtain with the transformer), this change result in audio.

Multiway, well, I am in that very situation...

qusp, we then have to go back and check the tests to spot a difference.. I guess? Still, these will not highlight the dynamic behaviour of the various supplies, and from what I understand, Roberto's design has an edge on that issue..or?

I think opc has already made it pretty clear the dps600 is about as good as it gets. i'd like to see your electrical bill running 10 x linear regulated supplies :eek: and then there is the added casework and heatsinking to allow for basically building a second amp to power each amp. in your case I dont think there should be any doubt in your mind tbh, even with 4 channels the money i'll save on chassis will almost pay for the supplies and to top it off i'm not sure i've ever seen dynamic performance like that in my life at these power levels for audio

Pieter is just here to cause a bit of a stir then he'll leave again

Last edited:
.............I'd like to see your electrical bill running 10 x linear regulated supplies.................
Why the need for 10 regulated supplies?

Linear supplies without regulators use very little more power than an SMPS when supplying Power Amplifiers.
If regulators are needed and this is debatable, then the LME front end is the bit that might gain most benefit. This could be one linear supply with local regulators at each LME. That is not much in hardware, nor energy costs.

Andrew, what are you arguing with me for? sorry but I neither asked for, neither do I want to carry on this conversation. i've noticed you dont seem to be reading things thoroughly lately, I replied to a post from lolo/Pieter saying to compare top shelf/quality linear supplies with this and said it had been shown already earlier in the thread by opc with both straight up linear and then regulated lab (not 100% on the second but I thought so). lolo said we need to compare and I simply said in more words, why bother with all the trouble, size and expense needed to compete. can we please not stir this up again like Pieter wants?

IMO to get the same sort of dynamic response as we had shown very clearly here, you need some pretty serious linear power.

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
AndrewT:

I think qusp is referring the the dynamic response... if you wanted that kind of rail stability from a linear supply it would have to be fully regulated.

From a noise perspective though, you are correct. The greatest benefit comes from regulating the supply for the LME and leaving the mosfet supply unregulated.

All of these arrangements have been measured in this thread, you guys just need to go back and look. The following arrangements have been covered so far:

1. Linear fully unregulated
2. Linear with regulated LME and unregulated FET
3. SMPS unregulated - DPS-400
4. SMPS fully regulated - DPS-600

Regards,
Owen

Why the need for 10 regulated supplies?

Linear supplies without regulators use very little more power than an SMPS when supplying Power Amplifiers.
If regulators are needed and this is debatable, then the LME front end is the bit that might gain most benefit. This could be one linear supply with local regulators at each LME. That is not much in hardware, nor energy costs.

Besides, I don't see any benefit in fully regulated supplies for mid and high frequency amplifiers.