"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hi guys,

after the Mosfet's got burnt I also replaced the LME-IC and measured the output of the LME49830 WITHOUT the Mosfets using a sine signal. The negative amplitude looks like it is clipping (flat amplitude), so I made a short clip of it, while increasing and decreasing the singal voltage.

What is strange is that both new amps show the same behaviour, unfortunatelly I cannot compare with other amps anymore.
Please could you watch my clip and give me a hint??

https://youtu.be/pAG_khKDSxk

Both channels are connected, so Pout and Nout are visible and are equal btw...

Schematic of your test scenario? Have you had a minimum load during this test?

BR, Toni

Hi guys,

after the Mosfet's got burnt I also replaced the LME-IC and measured the output of the LME49830 WITHOUT the Mosfets using a sine signal. The negative amplitude looks like it is clipping (flat amplitude), so I made a short clip of it, while increasing and decreasing the singal voltage.

What is strange is that both new amps show the same behaviour, unfortunatelly I cannot compare with other amps anymore.
Please could you watch my clip and give me a hint??

https://youtu.be/pAG_khKDSxk

Both channels are connected, so Pout and Nout are visible and are equal btw...

Have you tried measuring the LME output with the mosfets connected?

Strange thing. I get random a very loud pop at high level. I'm afraid it will damage the woofer(s). Very hard to find the reason because it happens only once a week or so. Tapping the PCB doesn't help. Bad PSU or input cap? It started after I soldered the protection diodes over the mosfets. Could one of the diodes have this effect? I'm sure it is the amp because there was no input connected when it happened the last time. I'm not sure if it is one or two channnels. The amp worked perfect for more then a year or so.

Last edited:
No, even with no music it happens. I have to do some more tests with some old speakers, so I won't blow my woofers. See if it is in one channel. = amp problem or two channels = psu problem. DC protection can be activated due to the low thumb, I guess. Or the output is a short moment close to railvoltage. = bad cap or so. Nasty problem.

After another nasty loud pop the amp stopped playing. Both PSU railfuses blown. Speaker relay right channel welded (!), but the speaker itself survived. Left channel still works ok. I replaced the LME49830 right channel, which seems to be blown. Nowhere smoke. The Semelab fets survived! Wow. Everything is working. No pops untill now, so I think the LME was the culprit. Very strange, some weird internal LME problem or maybe a bad (invisible) solder joint or a little crack in the opamp.....
Fingers crossed.

Last edited: