"The Wire AMP" Class A/AB Power Amplifier based on the LME49830 with Lateral Mosfets

Andrew, it's not about clipping, but the negative amplitude desreases faster, that the positive increases.
Please also notice the voltage:
+33.2V vs -27.6V

So the negative is first clipping, keeping increasing the input signal the positive amplitude is still increasing, before it gets clipping.

It's like the sine would be moved into the negative field, while increasing the input signal.

I bought 10 from an eBay seller. I haven't tried them yet. No other chip plant makes the LME parts so fakes are kind of hard to produce. Think of all the opamp manufactures. It would be easy to buy a cheap opamp and rebrand them. How many folks test an opamp Specs? Same thing about Transistors. National/TI only made 3 lme 49810, 11, 30 parts. No high voltage or low voltage or low or high distortion parts, just the 3 variations. Unless you are buying a piece of plastic with wires coming out, they are probably OK.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
What a pity... all that good TI-parts...
The Alfet-Mosfet's are also not available anymore. By the way... I've got some of the ECW-Mosfet's, but which are the best Lateral Mosfet's these days?
Yes, I think I'll give the eBay-LME's a try...

Have some LME49830 on stock...send me a pm if you still need them.
My LME49830 project used 3 pairs IRFP240/IRFP9240 and the result is pretty good. Have a look here: SA2012 - 4 channel V-MOSFET amplifier 4 x 180W@8R
Have some amplifier PCB spares lying around too - pm me.

BR, Toni

Hi astx. Had a look at your link, stunning build by Tiroler. I notice he's used huge sinks for the LME, mine aren't anywhere near that big. Mine are running at +/-60V, they are hot to the touch, can hold back of my finger on, I'm guessing about 60C. What do you think? I'm a little paranoid now since these chips are obsolete.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hi astx. Had a look at your link, stunning build by Tiroler. I notice he's used huge sinks for the LME, mine aren't anywhere near that big. Mine are running at +/-60V, they are hot to the touch, can hold back of my finger on, I'm guessing about 60C. What do you think? I'm a little paranoid now since these chips are obsolete.

Yes - "Tiroler" has shown an outstanding metal work! Very professional!

I have designed the SA2012 to use SK481/75 from Fischer Elektronik.
If you can touch your LME49830 heatsink some seconds, you are save. Otherwise better the cooling for a longer chip life. Don't forget the electrolytic capacitors in the near of the heatsink. Excess heat lowers their lifetime ...

BR, Toni

Hi guys,

after the Mosfet's got burnt I also replaced the LME-IC and measured the output of the LME49830 WITHOUT the Mosfets using a sine signal. The negative amplitude looks like it is clipping (flat amplitude), so I made a short clip of it, while increasing and decreasing the singal voltage.

What is strange is that both new amps show the same behaviour, unfortunatelly I cannot compare with other amps anymore.
Please could you watch my clip and give me a hint??

https://youtu.be/pAG_khKDSxk

Both channels are connected, so Pout and Nout are visible and are equal btw...

Last edited:
Hi guys,

after the Mosfet's got burnt I also replaced the LME-IC and measured the output of the LME49830 WITHOUT the Mosfets using a sine signal. The negative amplitude looks like it is clipping, so I made a short clip of it.
What is strange is that both new amps show the same behaviour, unfortunatelly I cannot compare with other amps anymore.
Please could you watch my cliß and give me a hint??

https://youtu.be/pAG_khKDSxk

Does the "clipping" go away when you reduce volume?

Measured your rails to confirm both are same (+,-)?