The Weather

I was going to throw a couple of steaks on the BBQ tonight, but maybe not

IMG_20161217_161551.jpg

You can tell there's no wind, the snow just piles up on the railing

IMG_20161217_194942.jpg

I -- I got nothing on all y'all. It's finally dipped into the low 40's ( < 5 C) at night and my house has the effective insulation of a 3-season room and no heating. So mornings and evenings are getting chilly until the sun comes out.

I don't know how I'd do with the cold you guys experience; I have always lived in SD, but I've certainly grown soft in my time here.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm something of a masochist and love Montreal in the winter, I go to the audio show (now Salon Audio) in March, and that's not 3cm of snow, it's a flash freeze and the road is a now a solid sheet of ice, we get them here too.. Short of chains on a downhill you will not be able to stop. I've been rear ended in the past when I was able to stop and the person behind me couldn't pretty like what you saw in this video.. Fun to watch unless it's you..

I think the plow guy might have headed toward the curb and created a spinning action to reduce his impact and perhaps even miss the pile all together.

Easy to say from here.

Yes I thought he was starting to spin, and if he went right around then he would have been waiting his own path, but he bounced off the curb. I also thought there was a moment when one of the buses might have let off the brake and put one wheel up on the curb and might have been able to slow or stop, but that would be risky and who would do that?

We had about 3 inches of snow Friday. Saturday is rained all day with temps wavering on either side of freezing until late afternoon. At that time the second wave of rain came through with temps soaring into the mid 50's F. All the snow and ice melted creating some serious flooding on Sunday. Sunday morning our little creek had overflowed the banks and was moving like class 1 rapids.

The sump in the basement was running continuously and it looked like it was losing ground, so I ripped every piece of electronics I could from its proper place and carted it all upstairs. Fortunately there was little water intrusion, but it's going to take a while to put this all back together again.

The back yard was white last week, green on Saturday, and brown today. There is about an inch of mud covering the grass. The outlet pipes for all the drainage systems except for the sump are buried in the mud. I am currently examining the photos taken while it was all constructed to figure out where to dig. The mud in the area near the creek where the pipes end is over a foot deep. To top all that it is 22 degrees and snowing again.

I don't know how I'd do with the cold you guys experience; I have always lived in SD

I spent the first 61 years of my life in south Florida. I can handle the cold here better than the heat there.

It was discussed earlier, but I believe 20 degrees F in Miami is a whole lot colder that 20 degrees here. When it's 20 in Florida the humidity is usually very low because the cold front has pushed through. 20 here often comes with 97% humidity, which usually makes you feel colder. The few times in my life that I have been shivering cold have all been in Florida.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> our little creek had overflowed the banks and was moving like class 1 rapids. ... There is about an inch of mud covering the grass.

In old Egypt, this was a blessing. Re-find the property lines, sow seed, rich crops.

> snow and ice melted creating some serious flooding

Dunno your land. My land "tends" to absorb a lot, BUT that initial freeze made it pretty non-absorbent.

I never had 1st class rapids here, only a mile to the top of the hill. But did have much flooding and standing water in my lower acre, and teeny rapids in the lowest half-acre. No visible "stream", all peaty root-hummocks on clay and rock. Since I don't plan to plant barley there, I ditched it pretty hard so a dying hurricane rain-storm would drain without trauma. This is of course debatable. Your downstream neighbors may not be prepared for all your water real-quick. It washes precious soil away. But for me, here, ditching was a big improvement. I can even feel it in spring, because the bog is not full of 37 deg F bottom-water.

I never had 1st class rapids.....moving like class 1 rapids.

Not first class, but class 1. Class 1 rapids are the easiest for novice navigators, and safe for unassisted swimming.

After re reading the rapids class rating system, I must reassess my judgment of the water in our creek. Class 2+ or class 3 maybe. I have seen rafters zipping by in our creek under similar conditions, but it was definitely not suitable for swimming without ropes. The current would knock a person down instantly and you would be in the Ohio river in a couple of minutes....if you weren't smashed on the rocks or a concrete bridge piling.

The creek runs under a foot in depth during dry weather, and is roughly 20 feet wide. Yesterday it was at least 6 feet deep in the center, and water was 50 feet or so up into our back yard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Scale_of_River_Difficulty