The Weather

The beauty and tranquility is giving way to an unending feeling of "What did we do wrong?" The snow has been on the ground for a month now. Another 15 cm (where I live) came down last night. It warms just enough during the day to melt a bit and freezes solid overnight making the roads a nightmare. Trees falling under the weight means closed roads and more power outages. The compacted snow ice on the roads in a couple cm thick. You could literally skate on it. I went to the office to check on things and can't get in the driveway for the almost 1m high bank left by the plough.
I don't remember this in the past.

The snow keeps missing us.
Jeff, this is unreal. Some parts around here get nothing but we have been hammered so hard this year people are starting to buy snowblowers. The skies are now clear meaning the ice is going nowhere. It's tough to even take the dog for a walk. Only the sidewalks that have been de-iced and heavily salted are walkable.
I wish I was living in Victoria.

Here is out front of my place right now. This is just the remnants of last night from the sidewalk. Over time we move it out into the driveway and have a Bobcat take to the street.
The piles in the shopping malls and elsewhere are unlike I've seen in decades.

Attachments

• IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 108
My faith in man sometimes wanes. In a effort to clear the roads of the nasty snow ice we see this. No this is not from our complex, that's already gone. What used to look a lot like the first pic now looks like the second two, thanks to the well intentioned *******s, we call our city appointed contractors. In line with doggy is the sidewalk. Hmmm...
Thanks contractor guys. If you're reading this, I hope something bad happens to you.
The other funny? When you mix salt and sand (4th pic), the sand sinks below the ice and becomes useless. Too many geniuses here. That ice pack is about 8-10 cm at some points.
I give up. Time for rum.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 97
Scotland, - where I live - is warm, yet nice to be in the house. None of that S*** stuff, at least so far, you have Cal! So I won't be paying for new gutters yet again. But gout before Christmas and a heavy head cold after have kept me in the dry, warm, windless kitchen. Step daughter came for Christmas - along with her pooch...pic attached. She, Fliss, is a late change of career type who has qualified through the Tavistock Clinic as a Psychotherepist. Dog, Rollo, an absolute gentleman who obviously was greatest friend of whoever was cooking at any one time....a first cross Springer/Labrador rescue job.

That was 3 years ago...from 227 Nov, through Christmas 'til Feb 7! :rolleyes:

The floods were Jan 2016....the river concerned is at the very far edge of the water you can see...The Teviot, a major tributary of the Tweed. We were one of the last cars allowed through before the road was shut for four days! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Joyful New Year everyone...whatever the weather!:)

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    555.3 KB · Views: 47
  • TEVIOT FLOOD.jpg
    TEVIOT FLOOD.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Path+SNOW+house.jpg
    Path+SNOW+house.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 46
Last edited: