The Weather

Jeff; went for a short walk along Dallas Rd to Ross Bay this afternoon - no precip since that light frosting overnight that was gone by mid-day - but that 25-40 gusting northerly breeze combined with +2C made for a brisk excursion. Of course this being Victoria there were literally dozens of joggers in shorts, t- shirts with down vests, no gloves and ankle socks.

Oh yes, and more than enough hipster beards - but thankfully no man-buns - I guess those guys read the Kayak trend update alert on their smart watches.

Tonight is forecast to get pretty breezy - gusting over 60, so even absent accumulations of wet snow on branches, I think we can anticipate more localized power outages. Those Hydro lineworkers are near the top of my list of unsung heroes.

Chinese take out from Lin Heung, and a nice bottle of something red for an early dinner tonight, then back to work tomorrow. A full 9 days off this time - a bit of a taste of retirement :D

went for a short walk along Dallas Rd to Ross Bay this afternoon - no precip since that light frosting overnight that was gone by mid-day - but that 25-40 gusting northerly breeze combined with +2C made for a brisk excursion. Of course this being Victoria there were literally dozens of joggers in shorts, t- shirts with down vests, no gloves and ankle socks.

We're meeting tomorrow at Clover Point for a Shiba walk. I'm anticipating a small turnout, as the wind will make for a chilly outing. I don't mind a few joggers out in shorts, as long as they're women.:D

jeff

I think they're smarter than that - at least all the ones I know don't like it when things get too nippy.

Yes, I've waiting for an opportunity to use that one.

Susan took this from the rear deck of Oak Bay Beach Hotel - when that flag is in that direction, it can make for a chilly walk - she only managed 7000 steps before needing defrosting. Gorgeous view of Mt Baker and the whole mountain range

Attachments

• IMG_5594.JPG
    IMG_5594.JPG
    646.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I find it ironic that the US went to war with the Brits, but you stick with there old measurement system :) So be it, to each there own. It is funny how I was taught in imperial, is that what you call it or is it SAE like my wrenches are called? I still today think in imperial, I just can't get inches/feet out of my mind either. But temp wise I do okay in C or F.

Last edited:
The weather advisory warned of 2 to 4 inches of snow and 20+ MPH winds. Well I just came in from my 3rd round of shoveling, and I think 4 inches have already fallen since noon.

I've resorted to the trick of not looking outside for as long as I can.

By the way, George, how are the plans for the modular or analogue synth coming along? I nearly built the dual-rail PSU for my DIY modular today myself, I have already populated a VCO but it is as yet untested.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> the US went to war with the Brits, but you stick with there old measurement system

I was stunned that the Brits even abandoned "BTU". The British Thermal Unit was at the center of much modern thinking. And still a handy thing if you heat water in deg F; also handy for R-value work.

> imperial, is that what you call it or is it SAE like my wrenches

I think in the US we rarely said "Imperial"; as you note, we had a war. "Customary" is the customary term.

SAE is Society for Automotive Engineers, originally Detroit/Windsor though they now aim world-wide. They set standards for almost everything on or around cars/trucks, going back over 100 years. Today they sell Metric Standards, carefully coordinated with DIN, JIS, etc; but maintain the old "american" standards for nuts, bolts, and their wrenches.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> 180 degrees between the freezing and boiling point of water... Fahrenheit

Fahrenheit didn't use water as a reference. He marked "zero" first as a coldest day in Danzig, later as a mix of ice, water, and salis Armoniaci, a good stable frigorific mixture (except his mix missed the mark). For some reason he marked "96" as body temperature of a healthy man. This is based on an older scale by Rømer, but 4 times as many degrees to reduce fractions and allow easier scale marking (0 to 96 is 2^6 so you just mark half of half of half...) Correction for the true value of the brine-mix, then rounding to water-freeze = 32 exact, moved the scale down, making body heat close to the 98.6 number we all (in the US and Belize) know.

Calibrating these things must have been fun.

Celsius did much cross-checking of water versus latitude and elevation, showed that this could be a stable reference, and the freeze and boil was adjusted-into the Fahrenheit we use today.

The 180 seems to be total accident. Fahrenheit observed 212 but didn't seem to reference it in calibration. A later Royal Society committee did set 32 and 212 exact, but if Fahrenheit had picked different salts or different body-holes we might have a different spread.

I've resorted to the trick of not looking outside for as long as I can.

I was outside this morning at 6:45 AM to dig out and thaw the 4WD Honda which became a popsicle overnight. It was warm when we came home during the snow storm. That caused the inch or so of snow that fell in the next 2 hours to melt as it hit the warm roof. The resulting water refroze as it found its way down the side to colder body panels and the windshield.

nice and hot, tshirt weather, oh yeah you guys do not know what Celsius is, your teeth must be chattering with 40F, to bad, time to buy a winter coat I guess.

Despite temps as low as 10F (yes that's -12C), I have not needed a winter coat yet, and was clearing the car in a T-shirt. As long as I am doing physical work, I make enough heat to stay warm.

By the way, George, how are the plans for the modular or analogue synth coming along?

Everything wad derailed as of Nov 1, which is the start of enrolment in the disaster that has become the US health care system. I now get to pay $1500 per MONTH for health insurance from a company that refuses to cover ANY of my medications, and rejects many claims for stupid reasons. Unfortunately they are the only provider in this state and can charge and do what they want. Sherri and I have spent over 200 hours on the phone with them and the state insurance commission without success.

I have a "virtual analog" synth that I designed and prototyped. It is mostly working, but has not seen much work in the last 2 months. I also have several eurorack modules in various states of completion. I built a small power supply with +15, +12, +5, -12 and -15 volts to be compatible with most any module made. I'll make a bigger version as it's needed. I started some basic testing on the vacuum tube ladder VCF in October, but the workbench has not seen power except to repair a dead HP RF signal generator so I can sell it.

I did talk to the guy I gave the DW8000 to, and he did save the VCF chips as he parted it out. He told me about some new reissue CEM chips that he had on order, and he will likely use the Korg VCF's with then to build an analog polysynth. He has 4 voice poly in his modular, but it won't stay in tune for more than an hour or so and that's after it's been on for about a day.