The Unvailing of the ???? at the CES

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I was using these drivers I would want to keep the sensitivity up as high as possible, so I would run this as a 3.5 way speaker. This would use the 15" and the 11" in parallel on the bottom and then the 15" would drop out as the frequency climbs. This is a technique that can be used to compensate for the baffle diffraction. Once the 15" has dropped out, you then have a normal three way and in theory without the 6db loss from the baffle step.

Russ

GRollins said:

Incidentally, the too-hot-at-the-top thing is why I didn't jump on the heatsink bandwagon recently. The heatsink everyone else seemed to like looked a little tall to me. If you're running one row of devices across the heatsink, you can live with it, but if you intend to put more above that first row they won't cool as well, because the air flowing across that part of the heatsink isn't room temperature air--it's already been heated by the lower rank of devices. At low bias, it'll be all right, but at higher bias, you could punish the upper outputs. Fans will help.

Grey

I guess you didn't see this picture before. If you read the small print, you'll notice that although devices are placed in vertical row the temp. difference between them is within 4 deg. C.;)

Attachments

• ml1.jpg
    ml1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,077
roddyama said:
Nelson was there today so I was able to get his picture with him in his suit, tie, and jogging shoes. He chuckled at us already into the reverse engineering and refused to devulge the middle xover points.
Rodd Yamashita
Well, Nelson is not the only one to "chuckle" over
all this hasty guessings and ideas ....

..... the rave about Raven ..........
well, that manufacturer is already counting :$: your dollars in :$:
with a heavenly :cheerful: grin :cheerful:

/halo has already chuckled twice before in this thread
- here is a third :D :D chuckle

Hey Rodd Yama----a, I am very pleased that you made it to CES, thank you for posting the pictures, Waynes camera adapter for the Palm pilot was unavailable! Kent has worked very hard along with Desmond and Nelson on those speakers. Be sure to congratulate him for me as well, if you get a chance. Can you get a pic of the whole display? Great work, thanks again. Have fun!

Peter Daniel said:

I guess you didn't see this picture before. If you read the small print, you'll notice that although devices are placed in vertical row the temp. difference between them is within 4 deg. C.;)

Yeah Grey I don't understant the comments about the heating issues either. Peter gave an extreme example of the contrary here. Is it just me or these guys placed the transistors in kind of a sloppy manner? Anyways, I have sort of a similar heatsink to the r-theta I can measure no thermal gradients to speak of. I am disspating ~140W.

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I met "the big guy" today! Here's a snap of the XA amps. Sweet. The lower amp is the XA160. This gear has to be seen in person to truly appreciate the build quality. Mr. Pass was very kind and even signed a few autograps for me, which was the highlight of the trip!

Thanks Team Pass for including us DIY'ers.

Mike

Attachments

• dcp00193a.jpg
    dcp00193a.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,130
The question is: How much heat is each of the devices in Peter's picture dissipating? If it's a no-holds-barred class A amp, then that's one thing. But if it's a class AB, B, or some sort of sliding bias amp, then that's another. In other words, the picture is incomplete. In order to decide what 4 degrees Centigrade implies, we'd need to know more about the design (specs on heat sink, too). There's a whole lot of difference between 10W/device and 30W/device.
Confound it, now I'm starting to think about speakers, and that's not where my focus should be at the moment. I've spent the day with my hands working joint compound, but my mind was on interesting things to do with woofers.
<i>Grumble, grumble, grumble...</i>

Grey

Edit: Whether they're "audiophile" or not, I've found those Metro-style racks to be quite practical for electronics. My AV system is on such a rack, and I'm sorely tempted to put the main system gear on another.

mrothacher said:
I met "the big guy" today! Here's a snap of the XA amps. Sweet. The lower amp is the XA160. This gear has to be seen in person to truly appreciate the build quality. Mr. Pass was very kind and even signed a few autograps for me, which was the highlight of the trip!

Thanks Team Pass for including us DIY'ers.

Mike

Are you just teasing or what? and what kind of picture is that? Could you have possibly been standing further away and(or) at an even more extreme angle?
You better have more pics and the full article describing your meeting with Nelson, what you guys talked about, future direction of audio and diyaudio, full report on the setup details and how the system sounds etc, etc.

grataku (in the official capacity of envious bastard) ;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Coming to you from the Cyber Cafe on the "Strip", literally.:D

fcel,

Sorry no new electronics except for the Rushmore plate-amp on the rear of the speaker.

Karen,

Thanks. What a great crew you have there. Nelson (I can call him by his first name now that I've meet him in person) is fantastic, and I finally got to meet Kent and Desmond. Wayne slipped by me somehow. I also got to meet Jam, how cool. I have over 200 photos that I hope to get on the web next week.

Mike,

I probably bump into you a few times and didn't even know it. Of course, I bumped into a lot of people I didn't know in the past 3 days. What fun, I even won $200 on the slots. I never even made it to the main convention center.

Grataku,

Leave Mike alone. It's a tough job, this trade show stuff.:D I had a few people tell me they didn't want me to take any pictures, but they eventually gave in.

Rodd Yamashita

those amps aren't plugged in are they? all i see are some really
sad looking old generic duplex receptacles in the back left hand
corner of that picture! :D

i'm glad i haven't seen any of this stuff in person, cause i'd be
drawing up schematics on how to knock off the local bank(s)...

we'd have to have a thread debating the proper thread count
and color of the ski masks used in the heist!!

out,
moe29
-------------------------------------------
i'm not here... this isn't happening
-------------------------------------------

Rodd,
just the man I wanted to talk to. I heard you were trying to talk to the cardas rep to get better prices on the post: any luck?

I am sure you had a hell of a time going to the biggest electronic show in the world and spend a couple of days mingleing with the "stars". ;) Looking forward to everyone's final report.

Yes, Well done Rodd,

I'm sure the view counter will go off scale deflection when you beam them up your pictures.

The display must have been a sight, and meeting the people we ask so many questions of and rely on so much must have been quite an experience.

The pictures of the Passlabs product seem to convey much more than a hi end image, they appear truly priceless works of art.

Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.