The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now I have added 100ohm resistor in the Rs place. Please also check my PCB if anyone sees any improvement of it.

BR,
Ales

Attachments

• mini_PCB.PNG
    mini_PCB.PNG
    59.7 KB · Views: 742
  • mini_sch.PNG
    mini_sch.PNG
    32.4 KB · Views: 748
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
-It does not "need" to be cleaned with a pre-filter. But it can be beneficial. It can be an active solution like a capacitance multiplier or passive as a CLC or CRC.
-As big as your main filter cap for not using high resistance in the L or R element would be better. Dropping 2-5V over such resistance should be pre-calculated in the Tx secondary rating regarding the CCS setting to be used so to keep a 10V drop across the reg. 7V at least.

-It does not "need" to be cleaned with a pre-filter. But it can be beneficial. It can be an active solution like a capacitance multiplier or passive as a CLC or CRC.
-As big as your main filter cap for not using high resistance in the L or R element would be better. Dropping 2-5V over such resistance should be pre-calculated in the Tx secondary rating regarding the CCS setting to be used so to keep a 10V drop across the reg. 7V at least.

Thank you very much for the answer.

Best regards,
VB

Hello guys !
I power my pcm1794 with ss v1.0(3.3v, 5v) and 3 lipo cells, this way I get between 9.6 - 12.6v at regulators input.
For a while(months) I noticed one thing, when voltage goes below 11v the sound in my speakers goes flat, seems it goes out of weight. Instead when the cells are fully charged the image changes, everything becomes more exploding.
Any explanation ?

Hi schultzsch,
It might sound even better with a little more battery,probaly when it gets to 11v it's to low to make it through your regulators and sags below optimum rail voltage,That happens in ac to dc supply's too ,that can be helped with more transformer and more caps. maybe just for fun use a wall wart and see what happens to it then maybe even a varible supply to TEST it! find it's sweet spot and then battery to that voltage!
NS

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
30V AC secondary is enough for the raw DC in proper level. If you talk VA (power/size) even 20VA would be plenty for a shunt reg for just a TO-92 JFETs pair. Just don't feed it too much spare self current. Check all temperatures are acceptable on sinks and transformer will be enough to set your CCS resistor best.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I had used C0G once (33nF) which I found more agreeable subjectively than a film bypass across the electrolytic Vref filter cap. Taking advantage of its small footprint I kept extra inductance low by positioning directly on the lytic's leads. Leads themselves cut short on both caps.

Hi Salas and all,
I have a phono stage here with a PS that splits between -24V and +24V for each channel. I would like to use your regs (-/+) fed with a 36V battery in the place of this mains PS. However, the plus and minus lines going into the phono stage share the same return, namely, the umbilical cord between the PS and the phono stage consists of one wire for the +, one wire for the -, and one wire for the return or ground. Would that be OK with your regulators or must the channels be completely independent?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That will be OK since there are no rectifier bridge diodes anymore. You should link the positive side's 0 to negative side's 0 between the now unused main capacitors pad's - & + between positive and negative boards respectively. Midway that link will be your incoming 0 connection point. You could still use main capacitors as bypasses to the battery feed on the other hand, but the no diodes & link things remain.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.