The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, the shunt/voltage set part is working, the v-out is correct and the shunt-sink gets (really) warm.. and when using led-test with my multimeter, all leds are fine and light up. The problem is that the CCS current is set really high, since the led-string doesn't light as it should i have voltage over it, but way to low. there "missing" voltage on the leds are over the 2SK117, so i have connection to ground.
Damn, i guess it must be the FET, and i don't have any more of those left i think :-(

Forgot to say that it is a SSLV1.1 i'm talking about :)

Last edited:
Actually i don't know when it happened.. it have my own made PCB's with two SSLV1.1-positive per PCB. I run two boards and one is fully ok (both regs work) while the other have the same problem on both regs - and i quite shure it worked before, so i'm starting to think it may be a static-problem while i had them outside my case a while ago. I'll have to order a pair of new fets and try then. Can't think of anything else wrong with the regs.

Thanks for your help!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
do you think i'll be able to power stereo pair of D1 i/v with the shunt? i am a bit weary since my failure with 10x tda1543 setup...

edit: it could certainly power 4 (for balanced) zen i/v stages, right? ;)

To answer that we need data. I.e. What is your measured CCS setting per reg and what is D1's consumption per channel. If looking for a common reg on two channels or for double mono configuration also.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I want to use Salas V1
Out1: 18V // In X1 V DC
Out2: 12V// In Y2 V DC

X1 = ?
Y2 = ?

trimmer = 5k?
I'm sorry, I did not learn English.

You mean SSLV1.1 (Bib)? If yes:

2 red LEDS, D101/301 jumper, 3.5mA idss Q103/303, 1.5K R103, 5K VR105 trimmer. Those should give you about 9V to 24V DC output setting range depending on the transformer. Use 15VAC transformer for 12VDC and 20VAC for 18VDC output regulators.

P.S. I don't know what you refer to as X & Y.

I use this:
reg-salas-v1-pos.png

Thank you reply.

Niko kalimera

I m finalizing my Shigaclone and ended up with a separate PSU case.

Any suggestions on what wire and socket/plug to use to transfer the twisted pairs from the PSU case to the transport?
I m thinking 4way XLRs for the socket/plug and 2x1.5mm OLFLEX 110CY for each pair.

Any objections? You think the plug/socket or the ~30cm cable runs could create any additional oscillations or something?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.