The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
R8 first schematic or R10 3rd schematic. Get it even closer to base with minimal leg when you can. But see first if it comes from earlier stage so to focus the problem. If the LED isn't healthily bright (1-2mA bright) there is hint from main CCS.

If coupling between leads is an issue perhaps you could slide a grounded piece of foil between the interfering leads. A piece of foil attached to ground with an alligator clip could be a sort of probe. Some dead electronics have plastic laminated copper foil that would work perfectly for this.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas

Could you help me, please.

I'm building L'Amp

Grazie mille

Marco

OK, will investigate and reply you a circuit.

Here is your circuit. Get some Toshiba 2SK117GR, measure their IDSS. Use just a little above 3mA for J3, pick from lowest IDSS group in your batch for J1, and from highest for J2. For C2 get one with about 0.3 Ohm ESR. For C1 the best electrolytic you like subjectively. M1 is going to dissipate around 14W, M2 around 6W. Don't test without 2A load, in that case M2 is going to burn 55W!

Attachments

• Salas_Reg_LAMP.gif
    Salas_Reg_LAMP.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 475
Here is your circuit. Get some Toshiba 2SK117GR, measure their IDSS. Use just a little above 3mA for J3, pick from lowest IDSS group in your batch for J1, and from highest for J2. For C2 get one with about 0.3 Ohm ESR. For C1 the best electrolytic you like subjectively. M1 is going to dissipate around 14W, M2 around 6W. Don't test without 2A load, in that case M2 is going to burn 55W!

Salas

Thank you very much!!

Some questions:

Flter capacitor, it'ok 10KuF ?

Diode, i have Ixis soft recovery 10A/1000V , are good?

And last, dummy load, 10R 30W it's suffice?

Marco

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas

Thank you very much!!

Some questions:

Flter capacitor, it'ok 10KuF ?

Diode, i have Ixis soft recovery 10A/1000V , are good?

And last, dummy load, 10R 30W it's suffice?

Marco

At that current 10mF//10mF is better so to divide ESR and up the ripple current rating. Diode you got OK, but sink it. 12R 50W on sink dummy or the amp itself.

hello, just built version 1.2r for my dac...
for sure i'm missing something.. everything works fine with dummy load (1k 10w), connected to real load, Buffalo III, trimmer (1k) stops regulating and Vout is blocked at 3,9v...
R1 is 1 ohm, current output is +/- 650mA, Vin is +/- 16V
scheme is this one:
196077d1289510793-simplistic-salas-low-voltage-shunt-regulator-1v2rposlow.gif

should i lower R11 to ... let's say 10k to have proper behaviour??
of course triple checked all connections :p
any help will be very appreciated!!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you haven't checked the actual voltage drop across R1 and then divide by its value, its possible it does not really run that much current and the real client circuit brought it to its knees. Your dummy was quite light for ''prova generale''. Yes a 10R dummy would be much more representative of feeding the buffalo. A 10W one spare from building loudspeakers maybe. 11V drop creates heat but no obstacle.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.