The secret of building a good 2-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have another question for you Salas, if you don't mind. In an 8" two-way like yours, low pass crossing could be conceivably be approached another way. If the woofer behaves well enough at breakup (the Seas probably does because it's made out of damped paper rather than an alloy) one could try to make do with just one big coil in series with it. Say a 10 mH coil that crosses at a nominal 300 or 400 Hz. The idea being that the gentle attenuation early on plays the baffle step compensation part and, when frequency approaches the tweeter high pass region, attenuation is well under way even with it being at 6 dB/octave. Obviously one has to fine tune baffle width, watch woofer breakup carefully, and tweak coil inductance since it has to deal with the rising inductance of the woofer voice coil as frequency goes up. Do you think that such an approach has merit and have you looked into it?

Thank for the link, I'm looking at both of them, same price range !
I'm planning to build big monitor with a 8" and a 1.25" dome + wave guide in a 35/40l bass reflex enclosure.
I have a tip for nice 8" driver seas. CA22RNX closed or bassreflex port on backside. So when you close the port you will have a very nice closed box, and if you want heavy bass open the port. Vent 2cm high 22 wide 32cm long.
To close and open the port use a pice of foam like that of a cushion of a seat, thats enough to make a closed box from a bassreflex.
French shop
H1288-08 CA22RNX

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2012-04-02 om 22.14.07.png
    Schermafbeelding 2012-04-02 om 22.14.07.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 746
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Unfortunately that mount at 4kHz the especially big one, and the other mounts, denote mechanical energy storage that takes very little triggering to be excited. In reality it will never be as good as a resonance free driver in its band pass region even when cut fast & well before. We may achieve good attenuation of anomalies for nice filter lines & phase tracking but the mechanical issue will be there ringing when rest of bandwidth energy will be dead. Can be excited not only from its own filtered signal but from the total power that the loudspeaker radiates. The KEF B139 was notorious for its 1.5kHz nuisance although always used and filtered as a low band real woofer for instance. These things are to be tested in practice by listening to candidate drivers with pink noise and a well known human voice, exchanging possible filters also, and then narrowing down to which one provides more, i.e. the gain in sensitivity of a rougher driver is what prevails and makes the speaker tick but its mechanical issues are not that apparent? Or they still stick out? Maybe a tamer in break up less dynamic driver wins for definition, lowers fatigue, dialogue diction gets easier to follow? Etc. etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.