The second UK diyAudio meet: UKFest08

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll have a P101, a Symasym and mabye a regulated Symasym too which I can quite easily bring along if I can make it. Needs somebody to bring speakers and a preamp too though, but I'm sure there would be all sorts of things there to mix and match (if people are willing!). My PMC TLE1 sub clone is possible but its not as compact as I hoped and probably wouldn't fit in the average boot; not massive output anyhow, enough for bedroom but not much bigger.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: Last year's venue

RAndyB said:

Ant,

Would it be a condition of attendance to bring a rug or an old sheet/blanket to damp the walls and floor?

Andy

I think Al will find us a nice spot so its academic but that place we had last year is beyond what you thoughtfully suggest. Carpets and blankets only absorb at a narrow range, what it would really need is some broadband absorbers, bass traps and digital room correction. Anything else would be like throwing a tanner down a drainpipe.

If we have the same venue as last year then I think its safe to say we can expect the same poor acoustics :( All the more reason for some place different I feel. :)

deadline

Hi all,
Looking forward to this meet as I really need some deadline to 'finish' my multi-way horn system. And to gather some harsh criticism...
I'm sure I'd learn a lot just setting it up in a different space.

I've also got a load of transformers/caps/drivers/horns/tubes that need to find better homes. Are you planning a jumble sale area?

cheers,
james

just to give some idea of my madness...

NetRemote - Computer server - Foobar - Reaper (for channel organisation and EQ/time alignment if needed) - RME fireface adat - digtial connection to separate RAKK DACs for each driver - Computer controlled stepped attenuator after each DAC (soon to be wireless)

240hz lecleach mids with jbl2482 (6E5P nickelOPT)
Double Raal tweeters - (6E5P nickelOPT),
115hz exp straight horns with Lowther A55 (2a3 parafeed cobalt OPT)
optional NXT flat panel at -10db to glue things together.
JBL bass bins (solid state) (45hz horns not finished yet and prob wont fit in the car! on the car?)

Somewhere in London would be nice. Some of us don't drive (okay, I don't!) so good public transport is a must.

Alternatively, how about Horsted (mid kent) college in Chatham, Al? Seriously, would they hire out one of the blocks? i.e. the sound engineering department?! Chatham is a single train ride from Charring X or London Bridge.

2008 event

Hi there,

I spent quite some time doing lot of DIY Audio gear over here in Czech Republic. Some of you may heard about people like Pavel Macura and his DISPRE or DPA amplifiers by Pavel Dudek. I am lucky enough to know these great guys in person and mainly Pavel Dudek who is kind of my mentor.

I'm about to move to London and I'm seriously worried about completition of my 3.5 band active loudspeaker system project because I don't have proper local knowledge regarding UK based companies. It's really a basic stuff like:
where to go for PCB in small volumes
where to buy thigs like semifinished shapes or which company can do custom 19" box or back panel.
is Farnell good choice for all generic parts or is there a different company I should consider?

Taking all these factors into account I think the best would be to use the opportunity of this event and meet you all but if you can advice me ragarding the above mentioned questions I'll be happy to present my active system on the event assuming I'll solve transporation somehow as I'm not planning to buy a car right after the move.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
What about splitting the event and having two smaller ones? ie. North and South?

I haven't fully looked into it just yet but I assume I still have access to last years building and its FOC. Maybe just an informal gathering where folks up north (or further) bring whatever they want and we all just enjoy a relaxing day of music and good discussion?

No stress, no hassle, no fee's, people just make of the day what they will.

ShinOBIWAN said:
What about splitting the event and having two smaller ones? ie. North and South?

I haven't fully looked into it just yet but I assume I still have access to last years building and its FOC. Maybe just an informal gathering where folks up north (or further) bring whatever they want and we all just enjoy a relaxing day of music and good discussion?

No stress, no hassle, no fee's, people just make of the day what they will.

Count me in mate! :D

Even better if there's a "proper/full" meet soon too.

Simon

I know a couple of guys up north from the forum that will come! Rowemeister in Doncaster and Thomo in Grimsby. I'm sure Mr Seroxatmad John in Durham is well up for this too, even a mini-meet. Also I have a couple of local mates that want to check a meet out. Oh and that's 3 of us that have HEAVILY modified CD63s... so no more shortage of proper sources for all those lovely amps and speakers!

Simon

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Sound good to me Simon. Can your mates be trusted? They're not going to nick the lead off the roof are they? :D :clown:

As for the Marantz, don't put the voodoo on it! You said that last year and it had major malfunction, probably from being tweaked to death ;)

I'll bring along the LGT's so we have at least one pair of fairly sturdy speakers to be going on with. Fingers crossed the DSP trickery can make some sense of the awkward room acoustics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.