The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Unfortunately Cal I started smoking again as soon as I was clear of the hospital! Generally feeling 100% but anesthetic takes a couple of days to clear the system. Bit tender around the guts and quite painful when I cough.....but thats more my own fault. Czech surgeon did brilliant job - he told me that it was the biggest hernia for about 8 months! Feel I will be 100% in a few days. Can drive (auto transmission only) but Carol is taking me to the cigarette shop. Wish I had had it done years ago.

Really glad that your stuff is working out and assume that insurance will pay for any work needing doing as a result of the theft. Carol's Golf GTI was stolen in London a few years ago and 'found' the day we received the insurance cheque. We went to the police and saw that the car needed a new front tyre (sidewall ruptured) and that it was filthy as police dogs had been through it. [It had been used in a major crime]. But the engine etc were better than when stolen so we told the insurance co that we would replace the tyres and have a full pro clean and return the balance of the payment! They not only accepted but also gave us a further discount on the next premium!!!

Hi Gyuri.

Other than checking voltages and adjusting where necessary it has not even been looked at!
I am making a few VSSA amps and want to keep the Xono until I have built my Paradise....I think I will need a new cartridge as my Audio Note has such ridiculously low output level; I was running it through an early Ben Duncan head amp which was sort of OK...OK enough to bring out that solidity of sound and smoothness for which the cartridge is noted. Will get a DENON 103 and remount it in a solid carbon body as well as generally stiffen up the structure. My only working source at the moment is a Be Yamamura modified Philips CD player used as a transport through a Chinese DAC board with transformers from the D/A chip. Until I have a decent amp and preamp built I am making do with a Rotel receiver (power amp coupled to a simple jfet buffer. Using a smaller Revox tuner for FM.

I have some Yamamura amps and a pre, but they will not drive other than a single driver speaker. Soooo I have a lot to do now. I've had a few chassis professtionally cut from 7mm alloy and a new unipivot is in the making with a choice of 10" Silicon Carbide beam and 12" solid graphite beam. Also having a double bearing ( Sapphire cups and steel pivots); this will fit a FR B-60 adjustable VTA base which I have. Have almost finished my Lenco conversion (1" solid graphite - v.fine grain) platter mat , slate and alloy plinth. Bearing and wheel renewed and motor overhauled. I think that it will give pretty well any turntable a run for its money.........the mat was very very expensive.

I have some very nice floor standing Joachim Gerhard Sonic speakers but with a revised (by JG) crossover. They really need some decent additional bandwidth in the bass. Otherwise they are very very good with excellent placement of instruments. A pair of good subs will certainly stop congestion with full orchestrial work.

And old Yamamura cables everywhere. [BTW these are better than a certain ZM thinks they are...but they do need to be used everywhere to get full benefit.]

Last edited:
Hi Cal,
This is a great news.
But are they the keys copied?
I can't see that being a problem. There's no indication of where I live so the news is great. The interesting part is how far away they found them. At least an hour by transit.
Unfortunately Cal I started smoking again as soon as I was clear of the hospital!
:mad: Sad to hear that but sometimes it's needed. Just quit again. You are strong and will conquer it.
Bit tender around the guts
To be expected, yes? Hopefully not for too many days.
Carol's Golf GTI
A story with a nice ending.

Considerably more to me….having said that I really have an urge to have one of those granny walkers you showed a few posts back…but in camp camo finish…..AND a new pair of waders. keep an eye on ebay under 'human service parts'. [I will be honest and declare the slight uric acid flaw.];)

just try and type 'camp' with the latest self printing spellchecker!! Comes up camp every time!! It will soon be telling me son that I am a Campari drinker.

Last edited:

There are parts of the world, where, how can I say it? morality level is far below the butt of mine-frog.
This is not necessarily because the people, in some parts of the world lacking in morals.
Causes are mainly economical, not moral.
But do not forget that part of the world where I live, suffered a complete moral destruction during the communist regime.
After that, against our best hopes, as the subsequent deterioration of the scarier.

So meaning of this, there are must have a lot of work to bettering our little world.
And that, the "more fortunate parts of the world" not necessarily more fortunate because the people much better there.
And it also means that the price of this good fortune is what others are paid.

Okay, I'll stop, I'm so stupid.
Today's holiday anyway.

Kind regards,

Gyuri

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The latest poop:

Nice weather here at Sea Ranch. Temperatures in the high 60's, no wind,
no fog, all sunshine.

Whales migrating North. In a couple hours I counted about 20.

Went for a nice walk on the beach to the North, and we decided to drop in
on Siegfried Linkwitz and Eike and see if they were there, and they were,
so we got a nice tour of the newly renovated house and later we all went to
dinner at the Lodge, where they have a new chef. Jack guarded the car
while we ate and drank "sparkling" wine, and now here we are back on the moon.

Background sound track is Thomas Newman's The Player.

Now for some Pellegrino and more episodes of "Person of Interest"

:cheers:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yup

Attachments

• Jack.jpg
    Jack.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 115