The OFFICIAL "Snail Shell" Thread!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
meade916 said:
Its only one idiot from a place noone gives a damn about, with nothing better to do.......cant bring down P4S. I doubt they are worried about you LOL

Wow!

Can I be an SPL a-hole to please? Actually I don't think I have the attitude problem to make it in that scene :rolleyes:

Oh and yes this place has is indeed a backwater for audio-drongo's, there's more knowledge in a handful of members than the entire raft of P4S 'I played it too loud and hurt my IQ points' crowd.

I'd take SQ over daft SPL rubbish anyday Its like when you see the folks drive down the road with the subs 'bumping'. Do you turn around and go WOW! No you turn around and say tw4t.

ShinOBIWAN said:

Do you turn around and go WOW! No you turn around and say tw4t.

no, I turn around and go "I danm well hope he only has 6*9s cos that sounded like crap"

or, in one case... I thought the car had an exhaust rattle.... turned out it was a sub in the boot, viabrating the car to the point you couldn't even hear the bass :D I was SOOO close to walking upto him and saying something..... lol :smash:

so... the 6.5inch boxes play 25Hz do they? :p

they currently have a termlab spl meter on loan... (wtf, shouldn't they have already had one to design these SUPER boxes) anyway, maybe they'll give us some made up numbers at the end of it all :D

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
SkinnyBoy said:
so... the 6.5inch boxes play 25Hz do they? :p

they currently have a termlab spl meter on loan... (wtf, shouldn't they have already had one to design these SUPER boxes) anyway, maybe they'll give us some made up numbers at the end of it all :D

I had 4" Visaton titaniums running down to 35hz -3dB and that was in room, not a 4' x 3' boot/trunk. The max SPL on the other hand wasn't so impressive ;)

So I do believe these will go down to 25hz but play louder than a single 12" or 15" and as for those guys that say double 12" & 15" - well they clearly aren't exploiting their drivers fully or using cheap or poorly made equipment.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the figures, if they published them there'd be no snake oil to grease the works.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
SkinnyBoy said:

you do ofcourse realise that the spreadsheet to design your own SS is now publicly availavle on the P4S website... and that I don't believe you anyway :p lol

SkinnyBoy said:

we increased their sales? how? lol I doubt that. But hey, believe what you want... right? :p

http://www.powered4sound.com/spread.html

Don't use the spreadsheet from P4S, its been deliberately sabatoged by John of P4S to give incorrect results since he was 'forced' to release a version after this event:

http://www.bigboyzaudio.com/board/b...41819/84875.htm

Instead get an original copy from Matt by PM'ing/Emailing him on the above board.

I can only assume you didn't download the second video of the 6.5s then... where a guy who has been designing and building subwoofa boxes for the past 13years listens to them....

he says they aren't talking about a cheapo crap 15inch sub in a too small sealed box either....

:smash:

he said he had four of the 8inch, square kicker subs in his truck, and that the 6.5's are just as loud, but go lower.... hmmm... and the 8's were off like 1000watts....

I think thats what he said anyway... go watch the video...

he also said the 6.5's go lower than most setups he's heard... =\ I think

GO WATCH IT!!! lol

ShinOBIWAN said:

Don't use the spreadsheet from P4S, its been deliberately sabatoged by John of P4S to give incorrect results since he was 'forced' to release a version after this event:

Instead get an original copy from Matt by PM'ing/Emailing him on the above board.

Don't think either of those links work... but MEH!!!

does anyone have a copy of the sheet, and can they come up with a design for the 12inch pioneer sub that I made a horn for... it would be interesting to compare :D

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
SkinnyBoy said:

Don't think either of those links work... but MEH!!!

does anyone have a copy of the sheet, and can they come up with a design for the 12inch pioneer sub that I made a horn for... it would be interesting to compare :D

http://www.bigboyzaudio.com/board/board_topic/1241819/84875.htm

That one should work ;)

Go ask Matt and he'll email you a copy of the actually spreadsheet rather than the P4S 'tweaked' version which is an attempt to simply discredit the spreadsheet they actually use and make people think that its worthless.

*shrugs*

Attachments

• ss.gif
    ss.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 346
:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

sorry.. I just love that little guy :D

umm, why was I posting again? lol

I want my 6.5inch woofers to sound like 15inch subs... HECK!!! I want my 6.5inch woofers to sound like 10inch subs... lol

lets see.. two GOOD 15's.. alright, two 15inch Brahmas (not the best, rather inefficient, but they will do)

300 litre box, tuned to 18Hz.... 124dB at 40Hz, before cabin gain... alrighty :) (1600 watts to each)

now... two 6.5inch peerless woofers in a nice, big horn.... (as big as my pioneer one) 120dB at 40Hz, with too much power that they exceed their x-max AND the response is only flat to 40Hz, after that, it drops straight off....

and yet, their magic 6.5s sound like GOOD 15's hmmm

:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: hehehehe.. he's cute.. :D am I gay? :xeye:

alrighty....

I have it from a good course, that the SS's add about 3dB to the output.... so, spending $300 on that box for your $300 sub is not really worth it, when you could buy a second sub.... :smash: <<hehehehe :D:D:D

sorry...

and, ignore the video of the 6.5's... noone believes it anyway...
think.... weak 12inch subs. meh... oh. and they are apparently using the TB 6.5's with the 11.5mm X-max now... like I said.. keeping to a 5 or so mm x-max on a 6.5inch woofer wans't going to happen... lol

:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :D hehehehe

DJNUBZ said:
Sorry if I didn't make it clear. These enclosures are loud and I do not doubt the videos. Remember though that those videos are made using very powerful amps, high quality subs, and most likely upgrade charging systems.

Most likely, some kind of equalization, like Linkwitz, or equiv. is used in the amp, and very efficient drivers are used to start with. As Linkwitz compensation sacrifices efficiency, even with the labyrinth horns, I doubt efficiency is much more than 90 dB/W/m.

Still, that could give you 120 dBrap with 1000 watts average from the amp. :D

On a different note, I do not normally condone such systems in cars. Why not? Because sound carries, and sound waves longer than about two meters tend to go right through closed window panes, walls, etc. :mad:

their "25 cycles" sounds more like mid 30's to me.... but hten agian it was on a camera mic so who the hell knows...
either way 6.5's CANNOT displace the air of 1 even decent 15" driver....:whazzat:
no way no how 2 6.5's in a TL are going to match the SPL of 2 good 15's properly powered...hell, even 2 atlas 15's couldnt be matched by 6.5's....and they are entry level SQ drivers...
it would take
a 6.5 would have to move 5.25 times as much as a 15 to reach equal displacement...on top of the high Fs of most 6.5" drivers....
so that means if a 15 is moving a measly 10mm p2p the 6.5 would have to be movine 52.5mm p2p....that is 26mm one way.... and we all know even poopy pioneer 15's can move 10mm p2p... throw an atlas which can move 36mm p2p at it and it has to move 189mm p2p.... so i geuss we are dealing with 6.5's with parthenons for motors....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.