The new "My Ref" Rev C thread

clave, did you find that there was a burn in period for mlytics? i received mine today and don't find them to be much of an improvement from the pannys as i thought the price tag was promising...

however, 220uf blackgates are excellent :) as i also find them to be superior to silmic+fkp2. i went all out and replaced all the 220uf caps on the board with BGs from partsconnexion and from that the sound has become tiny bit brighter, but i hope to hear it settle in after a while.

so was there a burn in time for blackgates and mlytics for you, gents? :)

clave, did you find that there was a burn in period for mlytics? i received mine today and don't find them to be much of an improvement from the pannys as i thought the price tag was promising...

I've soldered mines saturday... and I can say for sure that initially the difference seems small, in an absolute meaning.

But there a lot of small differences that, to my taste, are a must.

The timbre is more balanced, voices are a bit more full and real, high frequencies a bit more refined and bass gains weight and roundness but it's still tight.

The last 3% to 5%, probably... but to my ears seems MUCH better.

however, 220uf blackgates are excellent :) as i also find them to be superior to silmic+fkp2. i went all out and replaced all the 220uf caps on the board with BGs from partsconnexion and from that the sound has become tiny bit brighter, but i hope to hear it settle in after a while.

Yes they are, for C9, I didn't tried them in C1, C2, I'm reserving them for my new PCB.

so was there a burn in time for blackgates and mlytics for you, gents? :)

Absolutely!

The myth is that BGs change everyday for ther first 500 hrs when there's a dramatic change (I didn't noticed it... but I could be wrong) :D

Also the MLythics change with use, IMHO, after the first 100 Hrs you can have a precise idea on how they sound.

Last edited:
thanks clave, for your always valuable info.

BG is the one snake oil that actually works. hehe

speaking of timbre, i had a bit of a shocking experience yesterday, when i hooked up my luxman mq70 6l6 amp that hadn't been fired up for two months... the timbre was wholly more realistic than myrefc! :( of course, my system, my situation, ect., but that tube warmth and magic was undeniably missing from myrefc where as mq70 was sounding mid-fi in every other category in comparison.

so my revelation was that though myref is certainly a giant killer, it's no tube killer...

or perhaps i still have further tweaking to do? there remains on my board still 2 ceramic caps and 2 cheap-o metal film resistors in c34,10 and r15,16- which to my understanding are not critical positions for sonics.

oh but the happy ending to my silly rant is that i stopped by an audioshop today, to demo marantz pm11s2 that i had my mind set for before venturing on the myref journey. though it was a nice sounding unit, i couldn't help but grin at myself... myref was way nicer. :D :D

thanks clave, for your always valuable info.

You're welcome :)

BG is the one snake oil that actually works. hehe

Sadly, yes. and they're out of production...

speaking of timbre, i had a bit of a shocking experience yesterday, when i hooked up my luxman mq70 6l6 amp that hadn't been fired up for two months... the timbre was wholly more realistic than myrefc! :(

I don't know, I've never listened to a tube amp.

so my revelation was that though myref is certainly a giant killer, it's no tube killer...

I'm not so sure...

or perhaps i still have further tweaking to do? there remains on my board still 2 ceramic caps and 2 cheap-o metal film resistors in c34,10 and r15,16- which to my understanding are not critical positions for sonics.

C34 and C10 have a great influence in sound.

Use Silver Micas (CDE or Soshin, don't buy other brands, some sounds hawful)

C10 maybe can be sourced from eBay as FKP2 (which is better).

The MyRef is sensible to the power cable, which type are you using?

oh but the happy ending to my silly rant is that i stopped by an audioshop today, to demo marantz pm11s2 that i had my mind set for before venturing on the myref journey. though it was a nice sounding unit, i couldn't help but grin at myself... myref was way nicer. :D :D

:)

great, bob. that certainly rekindles my interest in them :)

the input cap for me now is the final piece of the puzzle. i wanna aim for 2.2uf as per maruo's own recommendation, because here's a little hush-hush that's a real prospect-

GE dielektrol motor run caps :)

i have most of the critical values on my crossovers designated to them for they were better than any other caps that i tried, including clarity dtac, which i understand to be up there with mundorfs . 2uf cap is going for little under $20 at digikey right now. 0.2uf shy of what i want to aim for but i honest think there's no better deal than this. don't let the flimsy tin laminated terminations fool you- the clarity, extension and liquidity on these caps are heard to be believed.

Last edited:
Recently, my RevC has developed a buzzing sound during power down that last for about a second. Nothing has changed in my setup so far. It's doesn't sound like it will damage the speakers, but it hadn't happened before. It sounds fabulous otherwise.

Anyone has any idea what caused it (where I should start looking) and how I can solve it?

p.s. posted on the other thread but no replies so far, so I thiought I should post here too.

I have recently completed a MyRefC, but have a few problems. The first and biggest is that I have a terrible hum comming from the speakers.
When I measured the output to my speakers it read 0.61VDC on one side and -0.58VDC on the other so I have a reversed polarity on one board. Also When I turn of the amplifier I get a turn of hiss from the relay, isn't the relay supposed to prevent this?

Any help with my problems is much apriciated.