• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Midlife Crisis - My 833C Amp Build

I'm trying to be objective after spending about a year on this project and manage my expectation bias, but honestly, I've never heard anything as good as this combination, ever. The highs are crystal clear, the midrange is full and round, and the BASS is the biggest shock - these amps kick the crap out of my 500WPC Class D monoblocks in the bass!

Deep, sledgehammer bass, with definition.
your 12k/4r and plate ~2k2 gives df ~5,5
is that correct?
do you have open baffels?

For the curious, I measured the current and power draw of the monoblocks today. Warmed up, at 160mA plate current, for each mono:

6.6A
675W

As read from the display of a PS Audio P5 Powerplant at 117V output.

Thanks for sharing the power draw - its much less power consumption then I had imagined.

I wonder if you can offer any advice on the idea of doing a similar build but minus the output transformers for direct driving electrostatics with 3kV of DHT goodness. Do you think the build would be any easier and cheaper going OTL?

It would certainly be cheaper; the OPTs cost $2500 each! You'd need to add another series PS cap or two and series rectifier diode to handle 3kV, a higher voltage power transformer (or cap input supply) and be sure your wire, chokes, etc. can handle the voltage.

As always, this thread is not to be seen as an endorsement of anyone playing with HV willy-nilly. There is a real danger of death if all precautions are not taken.

I recall someone posting about directly driving e-stats with high voltage, but exactly where I saw it I can't say...maybe do a search here?

Last edited:
Status Update:
anyone know of a good 2300V regulator???!!!

Try this handbook from bunkerofdoom.com
It's 268MB PDF, but in the power supply section there are tube regulators for low and high voltages. The HV ones are 'only' for 1200 and 2000V, but are easily adaptable to any voltage and current and illustrate the techniques involved. If +/-10V regulation over a 0-240mA current variation is OK. If it's not enough current, just add more tubes in parallel.

Since you only have to make up a small amount of voltage, anything will do if it is properly insulated. -or - put it 'under' the B- of the existing power transformer's rectifier. If you only need +/-50V, it's super simple.

http://bunkerofdoom.com/kb/goth/AGH-AM-027p.pdf

Try this handbook from bunkerofdoom.com
It's 268MB PDF, but in the power supply section there are tube regulators for low and high voltages. The HV ones are 'only' for 1200 and 2000V, but are easily adaptable to any voltage and current and illustrate the techniques involved. If +/-10V regulation over a 0-240mA current variation is OK. If it's not enough current, just add more tubes in parallel.

Since you only have to make up a small amount of voltage, anything will do if it is properly insulated. -or - put it 'under' the B- of the existing power transformer's rectifier. If you only need +/-50V, it's super simple.

http://bunkerofdoom.com/kb/goth/AGH-AM-027p.pdf

Great to know for future builds! Given that the Hammond 733A multiplies the line voltage by 21X, a sag or surge in the line of 10V would correspond to a change in B+ of +/-210V, quite a bit more than 50V.

Currently, I'm simply regulating the AC line voltage to the amps at 117VAC (the voltage rating of the 733A) using two AC regenerators. The bias is rock solid this way. I also get surge protection, DC rejection and line noise reduction out of the regenerators as a bonus.

It would certainly be cheaper; the OPTs cost $2500 each! You'd need to add another series PS cap or two and series rectifier diode to handle 3kV, a higher voltage power transformer (or cap input supply) and be sure your wire, chokes, etc. can handle the voltage.

As always, this thread is not to be seen as an endorsement of anyone playing with HV willy-nilly. There is a real danger of death if all precautions are not taken.

I recall someone posting about directly driving e-stats with high voltage, but exactly where I saw it I can't say...maybe do a search here?

I saw and heard it live at the European Triode Festival a few years ago. Scary, but it sounded great.

Well, they're in my listening room, making music! See picture.

The speakers are Infinity RSIIb, circa 1985, completely rebuilt. Old big Infinities have a reputation for being hard to drive; no one in their right mind would attempt to drive them with an SET...especially one with no global or local feedback loops.

Well, actually, this combination sounds GREAT!

I'm trying to be objective after spending about a year on this project and manage my expectation bias, but honestly, I've never heard anything as good as this combination, ever. The highs are crystal clear, the midrange is full and round, and the BASS is the biggest shock - these amps kick the crap out of my 500WPC Class D monoblocks in the bass!

Deep, sledgehammer bass, with definition.

Honestly, these amps sound better than I imagined they would at my most hopeful moments. Worth every minute I spent on them, and every dollar, too.

P.S.: And yes, the reflective front wall is actually by intention - I've found these dipolars sound better with the live end of the room behind them. Because from the Beatles Love album is to die for!

Good going mate!!! Those LOOK like they would kiss serious butt.

Thanks. Regarding the Youtube video...it's on hold after one of the Pyrex cylinders around the tube developed a crack - talking with the supplier, Greatglas, located in Delaware, they say that can happen occasionally when stresses develop from the holes being drilled in them.

They offered to replace it free of charge (great service!), so I sent it off to them last night. This time they will melt the holes in the glass instead of drilling them, and that should avoid any stresses being developed.

Here's a pic of the crack. Obviously I didn't want to run the amps like that and risk the glass shattering from the thermal cycling.

Attachments

• Photo of Cracked Cylinder.jpg
    Photo of Cracked Cylinder.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 884
Bummer about the crack. Glad they're going to replace it (might as well do both).

The dog doesn't look too upset about it though. He's just monitoring the situation making sure you don't hurt yourself.

You do realize he's actually an alien and all of your activities are being reported back to the mother ship don't you? ;)

Last edited: