The Metronome

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: tweeters

enzedone said:
The tweeters are about 80mm across, the cones are about 57mm in diameter.
There are/were two per unit, rated at 3w ea. in series. They have two caps parallel; 3.3mf.

Don't discard those so easily. National alnico 2" cone tweeters. Aperiodically loaded to boot (they will need their own cabinet. 3.3uF used in series gives ~4k XO (assumming they are 8 ohms -- seems a bit low). Tweeked up with some phase plugs you could well find these embarrass some respected domes.

Puzzlecoat is a particular flavour of PVA that tends to remain more flexibla than thinned white glue. That is not to important with a woofer, with a full range you don't want to add to much, or stiffen so much as to kill the top end. (what & how you treat a woofer will be different than dealing with a FR)

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/design/tweeks.html

I've not used it, but some recommend Polyacrylic -- the 2 drivers i've ended up done with this i was not impressed with.

John's suggesttion, i have no idea. I know you can get water based versions. I'd test it on something expendable 1st -- for a FR it might stiffen things too much.

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Re: Re: tweeters

planet10 said:

John's suggesttion, i have no idea. I know you can get water based versions. I'd test it on something expendable 1st -- for a FR it might stiffen things too much.

It worked for me really well. Cone was in good shape to begin with , but seemed too soft, like pages in an old paperback. The bass it produced was blurry, not well defined. After treatment, much better - smooth, clear bass and cleaner midrange.
The Varathane brought it to life.
Tested a couple Hz lower for Fs after (due to mass load).

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: tweeters

MJL21193 said:
It worked for me really well. Cone was in good shape to begin with , but seemed too soft, like pages in an old paperback. The bass it produced was blurry, not well defined. After treatment, much better - smooth, clear bass and cleaner midrange.

That sounds about right...

It was a woofer thou? Not a FR?

dave

Correction on the tweters

The tweeters were actually in parallel..................:eek:

I was thinking about puting them into a plate like this.

Phase plugs in these.......wow they would have to be pretty small.

Attachments

• r0011460.jpg
    r0011460.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 803
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Correction on the tweters

enzedone said:
The tweeters were actually in parallel..................:eek:
I was thinking about puting them into a plate like this.
Phase plugs in these.......wow they would have to be pretty small.

Are the Ts 4 or 8 ohms? If 4 ohms nominal XO would be ~ 7k, if 8 twice that (which would mean they were being used where they are at their best)

You'll find that they will work best if used singly... 1 likely won't keep up with the RA so you might well need to stash them for another project

Typically these have 1/2" VC -- i used a tapered foam earplug and cut it down till it fit. The hard part is getting a perpendicular cut. You need to attach 2 pieces of metal to the bottom -- with only 1 (i started out with a washer) they want to flop over.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Cabinets

enzedone said:
I saw your site with the measurements for the Mets. you have one that fits the nirvana 10", it's about 1854 high if I'm right.

I wounder if i could just use the same cabinet for my RA's

It would really be nice to see some T/S parameters before trying to answer that one. ML-TLs & ML-Vs have proven to be pretty tolerant of differing T/S paramaters thou.

By the way I have no idea how you manage to get to answer so many different threads............Do you sleep?......;)

not enuff...

dave

chrisb said:
hey sailor, did you plan on bringing the little PA system to the next BBQ? I still have some hearing left that needs to be destroyed to be on the same level as yourself.

What's that? Could you please type in caps so I can hear you?

Sorry Chris, can't bring it. I don't own a transport. Would need at least a sizeable trailer and my truck. I do have some nice little girl sized speakers with titanium tweeters though. ;)

planet10 said:
I was hoping to hear that with some of the little tube amps subbed in....

I recommend against that. It is very much a farfield system. 100 feet and 1000 watts is recommended. :smash:

Tweeters

i don't have any spec for those. i was thinking as long as i get the right sizing for the cabinets/drivers, wouldn't adding the tweeters just be a bonus or is there more to it than that.

Or should I just get some dimensions and build the buggers.;)

See what they sound like, then play around with the tweeters, i could always leave one side just screwed, so as to make adjustments.

Brett

Hi,

I'm looking for a design to build as a 2nd speaker after a pair of Needles. I was going to do a BIB pair, but there are no corners in the room where they'll live :) The Metronomes are very pretty - if they go down to just below 50Hz like the Needles, they're probably the top candidate.

I think I want to try Fostex drivers - I can't forget how cellos, guitars and live Squarepusher sounded on a simple pair of FE103 boxes.

So:
* Is it known how low the Nomes will go, in-room and with proper port arrangements, with FE126 drivers?

The graph seems to indicate 55ish Hz:
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/images/MetronomeFamFR.gif

* Could things like port tuning help them go a bit lower?

* Are the FE126'es OK w.r.t. Xmax when playing low notes in a cabinet of this type?