The Good Turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My experience has been that the Hadcock arms were great with very high compliance cartridges such as the old V range Sure. With high energy tracks & MCs with low compliance the whole arm would become very unstable. The same is true of most lighter unipivots. I had an early Graham and the same, though to a lesser extent, was true. For such cartridges you need a lot of sheer mass over the bearing pivot. Generally the most stable - back then in the 80s - was the FR64s and the Mission (heavy type).

Today I simply don't know what is available other than that the choice and recommendations are far too numerous!

Having been not too well most of my projects are on hold but I am working on making up a 10" prototype with a normal pillar and twin pin point rocker bearings. It has a lot of weight close to the bearings to avoid chatter. As my SP10 was stolen by a repair shop I will be using a Lenco with a complete service and a 1" thick pure fine grain carbon over platter. I will spend no money on fancy plinth work or bearing replacement until I am confident that it sounds good enough to make further experimentation worthwhile.

EDIT: Those high energy tracks would make the very high compliance cartridges - which tracked at as little as 0.7 g - jump all over the place in any arm...They were a B. to set up!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.