The Good Turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My self made turntable is ready. This needed years. I had the brass platter.
It is very heavy, more then 3 times then aluminum.
That made the design of the bearing difficult. It must stand a lot of preasure. One friend from the Frickelfest did it and it works fine. No audible rumble and stable speed as far as i can tell. The motor is a rather week DC motor from an Amazon turntable so we here have the case of heavy platter and week motor. The platter is driven by a thin textile string. The arm is a Fidelity Research FR64S, the cartridge is a Lyra Olympos so the cartridge is the most expensive part. The sound i get is a rather sweet, vintage tone.
It is not hyper analytical but pleasant and enjoyable. Where this comes from i do not know. Maybe the arm. I will test more.

Hi Joachim

very good... a brass platter is a nice idea indeed. Regarding the sound you can play with the platter mat and / or with the string. I use a unvisible cotton string. Another playground is the oil, here it's best to use an oil which was developed especially for low rotations.

Good luck for your testings.

I use a combination of mats that are from rubber and something like cork, i do not know.
i simply played around until i got the sound i like. There is a substantial rubber ring around the platter. That reduced " ringing ". By the way the untamed " ring " sounded pure, nice and clean. I do not know if that means anything but brass is also used for musical instruments. So there is hope that the resonance of the platter is suppred and when there is any it is not so disturbing.

I had a bad day. The stylus of my Olympos broke of. That must have happened when i fixed the armbord. There was only one screw so that i could turn the piece of spruce where the arm is fixed to adjust the spindle to pivot distance.
It is now fixed with 3 screws and i made some fine adjustments on the arm.
I than tried to play a record but the cartridge was sliding over the record with a nasty scratch. The stylus is very small so i needed maybe one hour to find out what happened.
Furtunately i have a mint condition Lyra Helikon. At laest i got the table working again.
I prefer the sound i got with the Olympos though. After a few hours of running in the sound got really fine. The Helikon is maybe more "modern" sounding but the Olypos has the better tone. Intruments and voices sound natural. Maybe the Helikon gets also better over time. Cartridges usually need a few hours when they have not played for a while.

Made some improvements to my DIY turntable that have to do with placements, damping and decoupling. I have a nice audio board from Willi Bauer. I used that to replace two Ikea tables. I decoupled the turntable and the motor with a 5 layer material i designed recently.
The result is a very quiet table with a very smooth sound. Listening very loud is realy fun.

Attachments

• GT 1.jpg
    GT 1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 482
  • GT 2.jpg
    GT 2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 447
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.