The Good Turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thats why an air bearing and air platter actually beats this combo as a group.
Tighter specified air film all around
Its hard to imagine the floating platter as being more rigid in its 3 dim. space than a typical air platter and the mechanical impedance of its arm base combination are way off
Looks cool, new spin on things, brings in new money
Time will tell

Looks like a design for the hipsters!

That gap is too large to be stable in all directions. Just build a direct drive turntable already. It's still magnetically based. It won't look as hip, I know.

This design reminds me of the Van den Hul Point One turntable in this YouTube video. It still doesn't seem stable enough to me.

My self made turntable is ready. This needed years. I had the brass platter.
It is very heavy, more then 3 times then aluminum.
That made the design of the bearing difficult. It must stand a lot of preasure. One friend from the Frickelfest did it and it works fine. No audible rumble and stable speed as far as i can tell. The motor is a rather week DC motor from an Amazon turntable so we here have the case of heavy platter and week motor. The platter is driven by a thin textile string. The arm is a Fidelity Research FR64S, the cartridge is a Lyra Olympos so the cartridge is the most expensive part. The sound i get is a rather sweet, vintage tone.
It is not hyper analytical but pleasant and enjoyable. Where this comes from i do not know. Maybe the arm. I will test more.

Attachments

• good turntable 1.jpg
    good turntable 1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 310
  • good turntable 2.jpg
    good turntable 2.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 309
  • good turntable 3.jpg
    good turntable 3.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 304
  • good turntable 4.jpg
    good turntable 4.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 300
"Professional Youtuber"!
What is that?

George
Dave Jones with his EEVBlog channel is likely the most popular electronics engineering person on Youtube. He does equipment reviews, explains electrical and electronic concepts, and whatnot. Apparently he gets enough views on all his videos that his youtube income is a significant part of his livelihood. No, I don't know how Youtube payment works.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.