The Frugel-Horn Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just a guy said:
My babies gained some weight. I filled both the voids with kitty litter. Immediately after I finished and sealed the holes, I remembered reading about how kitty litter can be toxic to wood, so I checked the box, and sure enough, this stuff is full to the brim with all kinds of chemicals, to the point of a "don't touch if pregnant" warning. I don't see much point in removing it now, the bad stuff pressed tight in there and has already had full contact with the wood. Oh well, hopefully I have a few years of service before it rots from the inside out.

Is this toxic kitty litter fact or myth anyway?

um, I think the larger concern regarding exposure to kitty litter during pregnancy has to do with risk of parasitic toxoplasmosis, not the actual chemicals in the pellets.

but, then if you read it on the internet (like here), then it must be true :cannotbe:

as for toxic chemicals in the litter rotting the wood, I'd suspect that any product deemed safe enough for intimate contact with a domestic pet's tender parts could not be that dangerous

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
GM said:
Well, about all I can say is that I started using it in the '60s and no one's ever complained about rotting wood/whatever. Unsterilized sand is a different story though. If you want high density with no potential problems other than the initial fine dust generated, then use Portland cement and keep a vacuum running while filling.

GM

To be honest, I haven't tried the litter yet - previously my ballast /fill of choice has been a glass bead "sand-blasting" media - much larger particles than sand. A lot of guys are also using lead or other metal based reloading shot material.

Does it go without saying that these types of materials add considerable weight to a speaker enclosure, and some can get to be a pain in the back to move?

Yeah, the weight of the kitty litter added is more than the weight of the actual speaker. They went from 13.5 lbs each empty (no drivers) to 28.5 lbs each with voids filled (still no drivers).

As my buddy pointed out, shipping them is now an issue, as I doubt airport security has heard of filling speaker cavities with kitty litter and I don't think they will be amused.

I've been in the lead shot camp for many years.... used to be really cheap at gunshops... but it certainly adds to the overall weight and certainly deadens what it fills. I've used lead shot in the Arcici stands for the Quads for almost 20 years, just don't let the stuff get loose!

Regards, KM

just a guy said:
Yeah, the weight of the kitty litter added is more than the weight of the actual speaker. They went from 13.5 lbs each empty (no drivers) to 28.5 lbs each with voids filled (still no drivers).

As my buddy pointed out, shipping them is now an issue, as I doubt airport security has heard of filling speaker cavities with kitty litter and I don't think they will be amused.

How about filling them with shot, litter etc, when they're at the destination rather than before? Dave:)

It may be nice to get her involved and personal with the speakers, she may appreciate them more then.. My 2c Dave

I'm going to try to do that with some beautiful printed info, some pages from the frugal horn website, some gushing reviews of Busch horn variants, some pretty pictures suggesting proper placement, room setup (now that's pushing it), subwoofer integration, etc. She may or may not respond to these tactics, but...

I don't think getting her hands dirty will help her appreciate them at all.

OK, then all things considered, either fill it/them with foam insulation and/or cut out the big one and suggest to sis that she position either multiple small planters or one long one atop each speaker to mass load them.

GM, shipping is not THAT much of an issue. They can't go on the plane now unfortunately, but it probably won't be more than a few months before she drives down, and she can take them back in the car. As long as they are done for audition at Christmas, the rest is all just details.

The kitty litter is in, the glue is dry, and life is good as is.

Thanks for the tips though.

just a guy said:
I'm going to try to do that with some beautiful printed info, some pages from the frugal horn website, some gushing reviews of Busch horn variants, some pretty pictures suggesting proper placement, room setup (now that's pushing it), subwoofer integration, etc. She may or may not respond to these tactics, but...

I don't think getting her hands dirty will help her appreciate them at all.

some "girls" are just not into the handy-work side of this hobby, but try and keep them out of the garden bed, and even steer manure or sea-soil isn't too dirty

as long as she enjoys the music, I wouldn't press my luck :whazzat:

Wedding gift, yes. She did marry a man. I have no idea how handy he is or if he would enjoy such an endeavor. Also I didn't want to risk having them make a mess and have little stones buzzing around inside the horn path.

OTOH he is a musician with a sizable record collection and AFAIK no real hi-fi system (currently pioneer?) so hopefully this will turn out to be a stunning and welcome completed addition to their happy crowded home.

DaveCan said:
Ok Bingo!!! It's a wedding gift, yes?? If she's marrying a man??:clown: then just get your brother in law to fill the voids. He'd probably really dig it and you'd be able to share your build experience with him etc... Dave:)

just a guy said:
Wedding gift, yes. She did marry a man. I have no idea how handy he is or if he would enjoy such an endeavor. Also I didn't want to risk having them make a mess and have little stones buzzing around inside the horn path.

OTOH he is a musician with a sizable record collection and AFAIK no real hi-fi system (currently pioneer?) so hopefully this will turn out to be a stunning and welcome completed addition to their happy crowded home.

yup, while it's a concept we denizens of the DIY dungeons may find it hard to grasp, there are far more folks who'd simply not care to build even the simplest audio project, regardless of whether they possess the requisite skillset.

surprising a musician with a system that does emotion as well as the FH can is quite a lot of fun.

Retrofitting the chamfer... I have to admit that the idea of doing this job was bothering me - I hate to work too hard. I spent a half hour today trying to do the job with a router bit in a drill (and getting nowhere fast), then another half hour looking for a rasp or file or anything that kind of looked like a rasp or file.

Then I had another earthshattering (in my own mind) idea. This is probably the one single job that a jigsaw can do better than any other tool. 10 minutes later the job was done. Not pretty and certainly not perfect, but not bad at all. I don't think anyone is going to look right inside my d hole anyway.

I think that addresses all suggestions so far, except for the double thick outside layer (probably not going to happen) and the suprabaffle (which I can add at any time, if only for testing).

Hopefully I can get the sanding done today and the stain process started tomorrow, and then pics in a few days.

Contemplating the usefulness of another "tweak"...

People cover their basket legs with felt or ductseal. I assume felt is primarily used to absorb and ductseal is used to dampen and sometimes to shape the surface. I don't know if felt has any damping properties or if ductseal has any absorbtion properties. So I have no idea if the proposed tweak would do anything at all.

I was thinking about retrofitting my retrofitted chamfer with a thin lining of ... something. Felt would probably help (absorbtion) but would be a pain to apply. A strip of foam weatherstrip probably would not stay in place unless glued down, which is a pain. Ductseal is messy and the chamfer does not need damping or shaping. Silicone is (I assume) the clean equivalent of ductseal (rubbery but dry), but again, not sure if it is going to do anything.

Logically, I can't imagine a thin layer of silicone doing anything, but taken to the extreme (finger painting the entire inside of the chamber with a thick layer of silicone) I can imagine it might sound a bit different.

But... there's probably a good reason why I've never heard of this being done.

Thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.