The Frugel-Horn Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: The Frugel Horn

planet10 said:

We have built 3 pair, and have shipped 13 flat-pak kits. For everyone of those there is at least 1 and probably 2+ in the field so a good guess is that there are 50 pairs of Frugel-horns out there.

dave

Perhaps 51 pairs ...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here's a pair I built for a mate recently ... he's over the moon with them. I thought they were pretty dam good to, he's still to decide how he wants them finished.

Build - http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/frugal_horn.html

Cheers - Phil

there are some pretty tight corners to try and "fish" around in the FH

You got that right. It's going to make it a bit trickier to attach the binding posts too (than if I had attached them when it was open), but I'm probably just going to make a metal plate (like the ones partsexpress sells for ~$10 each) for my fancy new posts.

They are going to look sensational. White wash stain for the "opiated ikea" look.

Of course, I've never forgotten something like that :angel:

But if I did, before I started drilling, I would try using rare earth magnets or one of my oversized woofers on the outside of the box and a decent sized nut attached to a fish line feeder cable, weaved through the box via the magnet on the outside, then tied to your cable and drawn through by hand.

Workable maybe?:rolleyes:

I'll go see, it's a slow afternoon.

Re: Re: Re: The Frugel Horn

greenie512 said:

Perhaps 51 pairs ...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here's a pair I built for a mate recently ... he's over the moon with them. I thought they were pretty dam good to, he's still to decide how he wants them finished.

Build - http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/frugal_horn.html

Cheers - Phil

Phil - care to elaborate on the sonic merits of the Green cabs vs the Frugals?

IINM, the former are the Fostex "recommended" hybrid (no kidding!) horn/TL/BR, and for my taste, not even EnABLed drivers and 300B SETs could render them listenable.

As for finishing, Cherry veneer for the cases, and semi-gloss black paint on the supra-baffles looks very nice!

Why Fish?

Why Fish, just let them out at the of the chamber?

Attachments

• dsc_0008_2.jpg
    dsc_0008_2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 532
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Frugel Horn

chrisb said:
Phil - care to elaborate on the sonic merits of the Green cabs vs the Frugals?

IINM, the former are the Fostex "recommended" hybrid (no kidding!) horn/TL/BR, and for my taste, not even EnABLed drivers and 300B SETs could render them listenable.

As for finishing, Cherry veneer for the cases, and semi-gloss black paint on the supra-baffles looks very nice!

Hi Chris … well the merits lay in favour of the Frugals rather than the Fostex Design did you see my brief review page (http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/greenie_s_review.html). Sound from the same driver is obviously very similar but the presentation/sound stage is far better and the integration of the bass in also better on the Frugals. However you can not use Frugals anywhere, those green guys are used in a small bedroom on a desk either side of a notebook and sound pretty dam good in that restricted environment.

Have been drifting towards your suggested finish. veneering the suprabaffles might be a bit trick.

Cheers - Phil

Cal I think this calls for an Engineer....

what you need to do is to start a thread to build a really strong electromagnet, something you can plug into the wall you know a big bad boy coil something a man could be proud of? That kind of thing. I got a stack of cm dia neo magnets 3/4 of an inch thck the trick is to tie the string to one single magnet then the 19 mm mdf is no problem, go fish.

Phil, - even though I hadn't seen your referenced review, I'll admit that I was expecting at least the type of results noted therein.

As I said the pair of Fostex boxes that I built didn't get much listening, even though the drivers were well broken in and treated. As Dave mentioned they may well have been sacrificed to the plywood recycling gods (aka bonfire ) . It's all part of the learning curve.

FWIW, for those domestic situations not availing a pair of suitable corners that rear mouthed horns require for the full measure of performance, there are several excellent designs for the FE126E penned by Scott Lindgren. We're playing with a pair right now.

Yes, veneering the suprabaffle is a royal pain in the ***, particularly if you're looking for nice grain pattern matching all 'round. I tried it once, and in combination with an experimental choice of finishing materials, the results did not turn out to my liking.

Moray,

I'm glad you're chining in here. I tried with what I had but to little avail. I could see what might happen with the right gear and yes I tried it with a small magnet on the inside but Cal, he needum bigger magnets. :smash:

I realize this is OT but not only does it remind us that we all do a Doh! every once in a while, it brings an old idea into the speaker world. Do you think the "go fish" magnets would turn a corner ok? Is it so strong that it would just flop around following the "mother ship" as it plotted along the outside?

Well Cal...

to be perfectly technical sometimes you just have to pick the damned thing up and shake the **** out of it. You know just like those little games with the tiny silver ball you are supposed to guide about a track. If you shake them hard enough and often enough the little ball ends up where you want it. I think that collider in Switzerland works on the same idea. What do they call it a "hardon colider"? Gives me the willies just thinkin about it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.