The Frugel-Horn Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: which speaker?

gychang said:
A: 3" TB 3W-593C

B: 4.5" Pioneer A11EC80-02F

I think the Pioneer was discussed with arguments on both sides. It is worth trying them but do give yourself at least the medium size air cavity to give an opportunity to play with its volume.

We are going to try a pair of FF85 3" in the Frugel-Horns, Calhoun-style (1 side-firing). We hope that this will give us the surface area needed for the horn, provide some gain low down where the FF85 needs it, and reduce the need for BSC or supraBaffle.

dave

Re: Re: which speaker?

planet10 said:

It is worth trying them but do give yourself at least the medium size air cavity to give an opportunity to play with its volume.
dave

will try Pioneer, should I enlarge the air cavity? how much?

you mean the space A in the figure?

gychang

Attachments

• frugel.jpg
    frugel.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 615
which schematic ?

I am preparing to try the project with Pioneer A11 speaker. I am unclear whether I should follow the dimensions of 3/13/07 of "wedgie details" or 2/2/07 of Panel Placement details.

Their sizes are clearly different, I plan to try Level 1 build.

gychang

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Finally got to hear a pair of these Frugel-Horns at the Puget Sound speaker contest.

I was impressed. =)

Very open, very smooth, nice tonal balance and good bass. Very easy to listen to in all respects. A true pleasure.

FWIW, I am not a small, single driver fan. But these I liked a lot.

Attachments

• frugel-horn.jpg
    frugel-horn.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 768
The Frugel Horn

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/frugel-horn.html

chrisb said:
Those are a particularly pretty construction of the Frugels;
Terry who was the builder and what electronics would have been used?

This frugel horn, chrisb,
how many built it? 100, 1000 or what?
Or maybe only a handfull like 10 people ...

Anyway, frugel-horn looks like 'my type' of speaker construction.
Fullrange is a simplistic way to deal with audio loud speakers.
One driver takes care of sound
.. from one single spot of transmission of soundwaves reproduced.
This approach, I have read & learnt well,
will not suffer some of the disturbance to sound waves distribution
as multi-way systems do.

I might get at this speaker.
Buy these 2 drivers, for my stereo set up.

By the way, not that I expect you to reply or even notice an old 'friend' no more, dave,
(you are probably too afraid of my words, thoughts and sharp intellect
And have other more close bonds and alliances to submit to, nowadays)
but your signature line is right on .. and shows one thinking man behind:
you don't really believe everything you think,
do you?
Which deserves a Lineup/Halojoy/Gromanswe comment & meditation.

Freud talked about man had 2 egos:
Normal Ego -- and the Over-Ego.

In fact, we human have the ability to control our selves.
And with 'selves' I really mean same thing as Freud: two selves = SELF + SELF

The Bible puts it like this:

Though shallt not kill.
Though shall honor your parents.
You shall love GOD above all.
And others same way as your self.

But how can I Love My Self
unless I am not a part of this Self.

The Subject and Object of one action
Can Not be one and the same, or can they?

We can control our self.
Using our better self .. not the one I am,
but the one I should be.
The one I really want to be. The good guy.

God will judge my life, my actions
not by my ordinary self.
Because GOD IS LOVE.
He has got Mercy, according to Jesus.
He CAN forgive.

He will see my real self.
The self that is deep within.
The self that longs to do good.

And by this mercyful judgement I will be without blame for all my many short comings.
My many failures. As time goes by.

The Swede in the Soil = lineup
North of Sweden Sepetember 2008.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
chrisb said:
who was the builder and what electronics would have been used?

Terry-O could tell you who the builder was - I don't remember his name. But they were very nicley done. And heavy! Used cat litter for balast. :D

Source was a Logitech/Squeezbox Duet thru a Conrad Johnson preamp to Terry's Gainclone style chip amp. Worked great.

panomaniac said:

Terry-O could tell you who the builder was - I don't remember his name. But they were very nicley done. And heavy! Used cat litter for balast. :D

Source was a Logitech/Squeezbox Duet thru a Conrad Johnson preamp to Terry's Gainclone style chip amp. Worked great.

I just now saw this. The 108 Sigma/Frugalhorn builder was Doug Nash, who does really beautiful woodwork on his cabinets.

Mr. Maniac is correct, although that was the later set-up. The original Genesis I-60 tube amp and the Sony 777 cd player perished during play and couldn't be revived. Just awhile later, we thought the 2nd Genesis amp, in the Judge's Room, was also getting ready for the Last Rites, by emitting strange sounds from one channel. But it turned out that some Idiot had knocked the phase plug on his "Black Box" speaker off center and it was rubbing. Appearently, Mr. Klutzo must have realized what had happened as he fixed the "amp" by re-centering the phase plug immediately, to the relief of all present.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Scottmoose said:

Might do OK. Ditto the Pioneer. Only one question though -why not use the driver it was actually designed for?

The FE126 and FE108E Sigma were the median targets for this design, and they both excel.

My experience has been that the 126 delivers more dynamic punch and extension at both ends of the frequency range, while the 108Sigma has superior midrange texture and inner detail.

FWIW, I would not consider the Supra baffle optional, while the rear deflector was less critical for me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.