The food thread

A couple of new tastes

Pine needles, though it seemed like young new growth, were very tender and not chewy or fibrous when stir fried. Anyone else ever seen this served, they say they are full of vitamin C?

Just got a bundle from our farm of a cross between celery and parsley (no pic) mostly celery on the taste and looks like parsley on steroids. this will go into lunch tomorrow. The farm is very enthusiastic since celery requires a lot of irrigation which we don't do it is only good for flavor anyway.

Attachments

• smfood4.JPG
    smfood4.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 106
Just started harvesting my bhut jolokia plant today. This dish is about half that is ripe on the plant, look how many are still left!!!:bigeyes: The plant is 3 years old now, it is finally really beginning to produce.:D:)

These I plan to dry out and store as crushed red pepper....HOT:flame: crushed red pepper.:p

Attachments

• IMAG1926.jpg
    IMAG1926.jpg
    779.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMAG1929.jpg
    IMAG1929.jpg
    964.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMAG1930.jpg
    IMAG1930.jpg
    923.6 KB · Views: 96
Speaking of end of the season and jarring, it's prepping time here as well.

These are my favorite, Ajoema (aka adji uma, adjuma, dji=give and uma=woman in the Sranan Tongo language), out of Suriname.
There are about 400k people of Suriname origin residing here, in the country itself a bit over 500k.
Reason that the pepper has turned quite common in these parts and sold everywhere, currently at half the regular (wholesale) rate.

Going to make chili sauce in 4 flavor varieties tomorrow, a gallon of each, before they go into the jars. Should last me well through winter.
Often sold after they turned red, but it's the yellow ones that have the truly unique and very addictive flavor.

(why people, who are not used to eating >100k Scoville peppers on a daily basis for many years, make fools of themselves in youtube recordings is beyond my comprehension)

Attachments

• Poppy.JPG
    Poppy.JPG
    535.4 KB · Views: 89
For those unaware of the difference between ground beef and hamburger, here's how I do it.

In order:
Chuck
Heart
Kidney
Fat (second pic shows the amount actually used and the two grinding hole thingies)

Cut and separate the sinew from the Chuck. (small metal bowl it the second pic)
Fine grind all except the clean meat
Coarse grind the clean meat. (large bowl, second pic)
Mix
One taste and you'll understand why. You can't get this at the market. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3090.jpg
    IMG_3090.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3092.jpg
    IMG_3092.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3094.jpg
    IMG_3094.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3096.jpg
    IMG_3096.jpg