The food thread

used a foley mill from the hardware store to make baby-food for our first born -- it was so time consuming that after a few weeks I went to Macy's on 34th Street and bought the recently introduced Cuisinart! Guess the year.

Near the same time I chose a Starmix from Germany for its classic meat grinder. Real solid ground castings for blades and impeller not what the Kitchenaid comes with now.

Attachments

• tellier-ex5-electric-food-mill-with-stand.jpg
    tellier-ex5-electric-food-mill-with-stand.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 108
Still, it should be possible to remove dissolved gas before oxidation occurs (and yes, ascorbic acid or metabisulphite as a prophylactic measure). Or am I wrong about that?

Another alternative would be for Cal to do his juice extraction in a low-oxygen environment, like by first filling his room with inert gas (Cal, you have a SCUBA apparatus, right?), or by immersing the food mill in vodka (also saving a step later).

Still, it should be possible to remove dissolved gas before oxidation occurs (and yes, ascorbic acid or metabisulphite as a prophylactic measure).

Yes, you can remove some of it. Removing all of it is a major undertaking and will cause other issues. Best is to have an antioxidant handy and/or get the product into a sterilized anaerobic environment ASAP. We do that every year with tomatoes (my wife puts them up in jars), and they still taste fresh for the next year while we're waiting for the new crop.

And moon cakes like no other. If you've ever tried and failed to make these, stop. They take days of prep to get them right. Even the highly competitive sisters x4 stopped trying. It maybe a lot of work to get right but one taste tells you why you spend that time. Both the taro (with preserved duck egg yolk) and the yellow mung bean versions are awesome.

Cheers to my honey. :cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_3088.jpg
    IMG_3088.jpg
    969.3 KB · Views: 103
And moon cakes like no other. If you've ever tried and failed to make these, stop. They take days of prep to get them right. Even the highly competitive sister stopped trying. It maybe a lot of work to get right but one taste tells you why you spend that time. Both the taro and the yellow mung bean versions are awesome, with or with out the preserved duck egg yolk.

Cheers to my honey. :cheers:

Yes, we have moon cakes from Beijing this time. Last time from Shanghai I got a large variety of different ones. This time just lotus seed and duck egg. You are one lucky guy, aren't we all. :)