The food thread

I've picked a gallon and a half of Habs so far. The last picking was the half gallon bag, which were smoked over apple wood before going back in the bag and frozen.

When I get a couple more gallons smoked and frozen, I'll spend a day making hot sauce with them, hot banana peppers, giant Jalapinos from the garden, and whatever I find interesting in the store.

Here's a red Hab and Chili (Scotch Bonnet?) combo sauce from a week or two ago. Not enough Habs to make it pure.

50/50 with the peppers so the Hab really comes through.
A small amount of:
vinegar
salt
sugar
yeast
and enough water to get a good ferment happening.
Let 'er bubble away for a week stirring gently everyday to help sink the fermenting peppers until they don't come up then stir once a week for a couple of months, then food process, run them through the mill or strainer and season to taste.

Oh look, is that an old mayonnaise jar just to the left? :D

Maybe, I don't know, it's what I received the Tahini in.

Attachments

• IMG_3119.jpg
    IMG_3119.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 71
I've never fermented my hot sauce, but may try part of the batch this year.

Typically I just run the peppers through a blender, add garlic, lime juice, salt and hot-pack in 4 oz jars. A little goes a long way.

I just washed out a very large dill pickle jar (1 gal?). I guess I'll use it for the hot sauce fermentation.

Now we are getting into an area I know a little about. ;) I make cheese and have used some cheese cultures in sourdough starters with good results.

Yogurt cultures are generally thermophilic cultures, those that thrive at "high" temperatures, up to 125°F or so. Cultured sour cream is usually made with a mix of cultures that are mesophilic, do best around 80°. Cottage cheese is also made with mesophilic cultures.

Another source of cultures is cultured buttermilk. Although the balance of the mix is probably different, it uses the same basic cultures as sour cream. I've made hard and soft cheese, buttermilk, sour cream and crème fraîche using the same culture. The temperature profile when processing drives the flavor profile. Flora Danica is my favorite culture to add to sourdough starter. Available at cheesemaking suppliers, like my favorite Artisan Geek (Yoav is very helpful and tolerant of newbie questions, and I am just a satisfied customer)

I've never fermented my hot sauce
One year I made my habanero hot sauce and left a few corked bottles of it on the kitchen counter planning on giving it to some friends. A few days later from the other room my Wife and I heard a POP. One of the bottles had exploded...Must have been fermenting. We had to evacuate the house and I went back in wearing my painting respirator to clean up.
This was not as bad as the brewing yeast I thought was dormant and had stored in the fridge for later use. When that one blew up it broke the tempered glass shelves in the fridge and imbedded bits of the lab jar into the plastic interior.
Yes my Wife has put up with a lot over the years.
Evan

Ha..ha..ha...

First time I brewed after recovering from my bike accident, I didn't take successive terminal gravity readings. The beer was bottled and put in beer cases to be stored in the basement closet.

The first bottle to explode set off a chain reaction.

Dump two plus cases of beer, and the boxes..