The food thread

No I haven't Chris, but next time I see you I should bring you some of our seasoned salt. It's similar to commercial stuff but has a lower salt count and more flavours. It's about 50 salt. We use pickling or Kosher salt reground to size.

I'll have to give the Him-a-layin' a try.

Attachments

• IMG_3041.jpg
    IMG_3041.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 115
Anything you can do to preserve a 4l jug of milk that expires today? Can it be carefully heated without adversely affecting the taste? Can you add something like an aspirin tablet? Would the acid curdle it?

Do I make farmers cheese?

It's skim milk, so do I just make a ****load of watery cream soup? :rofl:

I dunno about Canada, but fresh milk sold in the States is usually OK for a week after the labeled sell date if uncontaminated and refrigerated constantly.

If you will have a use for it in the future, you could just freeze it. If you don't want one big cube of milk, put it into smaller containers (or ice cube trays) so you can thaw smaller portions as needed.

If you want to do the cheese thing, you will need to heat the milk to help the curds form. Heating causes the proteins to contract, expelling excess whey. The Farmer's cheese recipes I see on line call for heating the milk then adding acid. When we made Cheddar cheese in college (food microbiology class) we fermented the milk to a soft gel (something like firm yogurt), gently sliced it into small cubes, then heated it to shrink the curds and expel the whey. Rennet was probably involved too, but that was 1978 or so and I don't quite remember.

Bill