The food thread

Locally, we have enough of a critical mass of both hipsters and farmers that rumblings of a raw milk underground are beginning to take shape.

I'm curious, but at the same time - I don't drink enough of it to make the hassle worth it.

I remember having to memorize a long list of diseases that can be borne by cow's milk in my dairy science class (my degree was in Food Science, you might have guessed by now). Undulant fever, Q fever, tuberculosis, and on and on. Diseases we just don't hear about after pasteurization became the norm. It didn't leave you feeling good about drinking raw milk.

Raw milk cheeses can be safer, if the cheesemaking conditions are such that the pathogens cannot survive in the final product.

Bill

Who can resist an oxtail at half price.
On the portable petroleum stove first thing tomorrow morning to slow-cook it/them for ten hours.

(un)fortunately, Australian Angus (roast) beef and salmon sides were also on the friday special list, so me busy boy this weekend (while I'm having my period)

Attachments

• HeadsorTails.JPG
    HeadsorTails.JPG
    420.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I would have subbed the Ale for the chard-no-way. :D

I'm with you on that one, I can't see venison in Chardonnay.

Down your way (i.e., in the USA) can you buy game meat without much trouble? Around here laws have been designed to prevent poaching, so there are a lot of conditions and prohibitions on selling game. I am too lazy to hunt, but would love to get my hands on some ruffed grouse or other partridge, and some local venison.

an old issue

A TV channel here had a broadcast on the manufacture of 'meat', e.g. used for the small bits & fragments in canned/bagged soup.
Tails have become scarce items, not something to pick up in the supermarket anymore, regular price level here is over $6.50/lb (as usual, organic farmed tails go way beyond that)

So what you have is that the shelves of supermarkets are stacked with oxtail soup in various packaging types, canned, bagged, bottled, frozen.
Yet the majority has not once tasted real 'ox'-tail.

Soy-lentil Green is not that far off :clown:

Down your way (i.e., in the USA) can you buy game meat without much trouble?

Farmed in many cases now, it is also illegal in many states for hunters to sell their catch. Nothing says they can't give it away to friends. :D In the past restaurants could get wild shot game on occasion, I have fond memories of some Scottish grouse still with a few pellets to be found.

Commercially the best fresh I have found are squab from Asian markets but the live animal thing has really declined here, I mentioned weeks ago how sad Boston's Italian North End has gotten.

Tails have become scarce items, not something to pick up in the supermarket anymore, regular price level here is over $6.50/lb (as usual, organic farmed tails go way beyond that)

Luckily the Korean chain HMarket is always well stocked here. Just last week I was thinking a batch was in order but found some grass fed organic shanks on sale. Yes the 10-12 hr. is good, very good.

squab from Asian markets
Funny you should mention that. Just yesterday we had the pleasure of some farm raised beauties at my Father in law's. Braised in a very Asian sauce.
Tails have become scarce items, not something to pick up in the supermarket anymore
As Scott has found, we also have a good supply in our Asian markets. Unfortunately they cost about the same as Dungeness ($6-8/lbs) so we don't have Oxtail very often. :D

I'm with you on that one, I can't see venison in Chardonnay.

Down your way (i.e., in the USA) can you buy game meat without much trouble? Around here laws have been designed to prevent poaching, so there are a lot of conditions and prohibitions on selling game. I am too lazy to hunt, but would love to get my hands on some ruffed grouse or other partridge, and some local venison.

Laws in USA prohibit selling game animal or parts.

I don't hunt much anymore but have enough friends who do, such that I generally have a couple pounds of venison each year.

Now that I'm riding the bicycle again and getting in better shape, I may go deer hunting again this year.