The food thread

??? All I found was a dinner in 1951 where 250,000 yr old mammoth meat was actually served at a $5000 (equivalent) a plate dinner.

Did you butter your bread with a chunk of that 3000 yr. old bog butter?

I've often wondered about that meal. They have no idea how quickly the meat froze after the mammoth died. I'd be concerned about spoilage. But that's just me. :)

Doing a bit of a fridge clean, and I felt like having some chicken paprikash. Normally I would use chicken pieces with bone and skin attached, but all I had was skinless/boneless chicken thighs. So:

Fry a sliced onion in a bit of oil and butter.
IMG_20200321_201250577.jpg
Add diced mushroom and sliced sweet peppers. Gently fry and add good Hungarian paprika.
IMG_20200321_202333130.jpg
Add white wine and simmer
Add chicken and a bit more white wine, simmer until starting to dry out.
IMG_20200321_205237029.jpg
Add sour cream and plain yogurt (would usually just use sour cream but didn't have enough, plus had leftover yogurt)
IMG_20200321_214533299.jpg
Serve over dumplings.
IMG_20200321_220622023.jpg

By the way, I would love to come back at that time. Even in the most difficult times there were always goods, you just had to stand in line for 1-10 minutes. But the quality of many products was much higher than now, everything was natural. Now only fruits, vegetables, wine, pasta have become much better. Now no one gets newspapers, they are not, but in the box are many free advertising newspapers. And we still have a lot of Muslims, they definitely don't need a newspaper. By the way, why is there no coronovirus in dirty India?

Last edited:

Kirkland now has San Marzano's plastered with all the right verbiage, govt. seals, etc. If you look for blind taste tests there is not universal agreement, as with all food there is a large element of subjectivity. Epicurious actually preferred the Redpack brand from Indiana.

@GUNFU could you please keep stuff like your last two comments out of the food thread.

Last edited: