The food thread

I don't make anything from the subcontinent. The ex was from Pakistan and was an outstanding cook. I've never been able to make anything remotely as good as what she could. The kids prefer that I stick to other types of meals!! (Mom makes it better Dad...)

How are your flour stocks? I'm running low on general purpose flour, cake flour and baking flour. I'm doing a lot more baking now that the kids and I are stuck here at home 24/7. It's been about 2 weeks since I've seen any at the store. Is it just here?

Bread flour was in today and I'm going to take a stab at baking bread. Save some money and maybe it'll taste good.

I like the sound of "American Loaf Bread." Sounds wholesome! Something Wally and the Beaver might have ate back in the day...

Attachments

• The Beaver.jpg
    The Beaver.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 91
I just finished up using my new smoker to finish 20 pounds of cured lamb flank. Very bacon like. Now working on optimum cooking time. Recommended 20 minutes at 400F left everything completely black. 9 minutes at 350F is getting very close. A really tough job testing the optimum oven baking for it.

The smoker was another story. First one ordered from Amazon never showed up. The free replacement came packed in the China to distributor box and was shipped in that to Amazon by the label left on. Amazon used a larger over pack box to ship it to me. Outside box arrived perfect. Inside box had a damaged corner.

Unit arrived with a dent in the top, out of square and with the window gasket nowhere near where it belonged. As I do have a sheet metal shop it was easier to fix things than to send it back. Plugged it in and no joy. Bad heating element. Called them on Monday and had a replacement Wednesday.

Started smoking and learned the vinyl tab on the door latch didn't like staying on. More smoke came out the door than the intended tube.

So a gasket was made on the front from silicone rubber and a dab added to the vinyl tab.

Smoker now works quite nicely, except I need to use an external timer. Of course for just over a hundred bucks, I was curious if it would even work! So being house bound and bored adapting things occupied a bit of time, although having a very well equipped shop less than an hour! Really didn't want to wait another week for a third unit.

Last edited:
We have an Indian food market locally and I have purchased from them occasionally.

Recently I decided to try my hand at Indian cooking.

Tonight for dinner I made:

Spinach Saag
Chana Aloo
Naan
Salmon grilled.

Turned out pretty good although the Naan was purchased frozen. I have a half gallon of Yogurt so I will try Naan next.

Gunfu: You and your people have survived a lot of **** so, empty shelves is nothing news for you. If you run out of suger, you do some barter with your neighbors.
Besides, why toilet paper when you have Komsomolskaya Pravda ...Canned tuna is an insult ...
And what do you dislike about Soviet newspapers?
The current outbreak of coronavirus is not the first on our planet. At the end of 2002, an outbreak of the disease occurred in the same China, but it did not reach the scale that COVID-19.
However, they could have been preceded by more than one outbreak of SARS. For example, one case took place in the second half of the 20th century.

In 1981, the newspaper Izvestia published material on "victims of a mysterious disease." Apparently, the epicenter at that time was Spain. The publication reported 89 dead. Soviet journalists claimed that the spread of the virus began with an American air base near the city of Torrejon de Ardoz.
At first glance, this publication may seem fake. However, the 1981 pneumonia outbreak in Torrejón de Ardoz is mentioned in scientific publications. This case is confirmed by an article from the archive of the Spanish newspaper El Pais.
Коронавирус нашли в советской газете (фото) - Hi-Tech Mail.ru

Grandma's Chili Powder

Does anyone remember ( the brand ) Grandmas Chili Powder ?
My Mother ( and her Mother ) both used the ' mild ' version .
The result was , in fact , very mild as far as ' heat ' goes ,
but at the same time , very flavorful . ( Not unlike the sauce
on a Wienerschnitzel chili - cheese - dog , or a Taco Bell
enchirito . Does anyone know the type of chili , or paprika ,
or ? that imparts this savory but unhot chili flavor ?

Today I went through reconnaissance in a large shopping and entertainment center with cinemas, which is a 15-minute walk from my house. Cinemas and the entire shopping center with closed boutiques. Only the grocery store on the ground floor is open. At the entrance there is a security guard who remotely measures the body temperature of all visitors, as he shows on television about China. There is no protective mask on guard. He is also all dressed only in a strict men's suit. It also offers everyone free transparent protective gloves.
There are very few visitors. There are a lot of goods. Everything is the same as before. There are about 20 varieties of toilet paper from different manufacturers, from the cheapest to the most expensive. There are discounts on many products, but prices are slightly higher, apparently due to the ruble exchange rate. I bought several bottles of excellent Russian wine at a very big discount, cheaper than before, before the epidemic. Well, I bought other products, as usual. The saleswoman in this wine department was wearing a mask, and she began to persuade also to buy expensive sweets, which also had a discount, and which probably expired and which no one bought, obviously because the sweets were poorly stored. In general, there are more interesting products, such as wine, canned fish and meat, cereals and the like, which are well stored. I repeat, in shops there are very few buyers and people on the street, everyone keeps at a distance of 2 meters.

Last edited:
Do you mean chili the pepper or chili as in con carne? If it's con carne, the main ingredients are paprika, cumin and salt, with cumin imparting the strongest of the flavours.
I guess con carne ........
I want to make chili beans . I used to make them ( to my wife's delight )
with ~ 1/3 bottle of Grandmas chili powder ( which is no longer made )
Everything I've tried as a substitute is too hot for her . I bought some paprika
yesterday and it is not very flavorful. I'll have to try cumin .