The food thread

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I went to do a shop for the week on wednesday. Had to visit 3 supermarkets. It's a funny world where there is no milk, flour, eggs, meat or frozen produce but pak choi, asparagus and strawberries are plentiful.

The sad side to this is it's been noted that the emergency staff actually keeping us alive are getting off shift and finding nothing in the shops.

Boneless pork sirloin chunks were cheap at the grocery store yesterday. Long and slow on the pellet grill is probably my best bet, no?

If you're familiar with indirect heat barbecuing, it can be the best thing ever!
I usually do them with a glaze made from sweet soy sauce, honey, apple vinegar, cayenne pepper.

The absolutely most important thing is to let it rest for a good bit before you as much as think about slicing it up. Do not cut it up for at least 10-15 minutes after you take it off the bbq, best to just have the whole thing on the table and cut a slice when you have the rest of the plate ready.
My wife is a really good cook, but she does it wrong every time, cutting it up too soon, dry pieces with all the good juice in a pond underneath.

I take my time on the bbq, everything is indirect heat cooking, low&slow is indeed the thing.

^ Good point Kaffiman, and I hope your family is on the road to recovery. The other option is cook one day and eat the next, where you make a couple of meals when the pellet grill is on. Prevents rushing the whole thing :)

Cal, at least our pellet grill can get down towards ~220 F (a little over 100C), so it's more like a hot smoker than a grill-grill at those temps. Easier to keep it moist. SV + crust is another option for sure, and means you don't have to brine/marinade, since you can do it straight in the SV bag to far better extent.

My wife and I have survived our first week of isolation together. I don't know if it's because of stress, or just being around food all day, but it seems like I'm eating a lot more and gaining weight. I'll have to balance things out by spending more time on the elliptical while I wait for work emails to roll in. :D

Hi Folks

Wow, how can you eat tacos for breakfast?

I like that stuff, but would simply explode after such a tiny portion :)

So what, here my witches brew from the last 3 sundays, since i am somewhat limited in time under the week.

Attachments

• Hasi.jpg
    Hasi.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Moules.jpg
    Moules.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Salat.jpg
    Salat.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 48
Sometimes i like to grill the salad hearts. Makes them sweet from bitter.
Funny is , the balsamicobase matches both for my taste.
And here in switzerland we have the best bread of the world, but please dont ask me which one, since there are at least 1'637'439 bakeries proclaiming this!

Germans have also good bread, but just those ones living close to the swiss border.
(Sorry, borderline syndrome just woke up ;)