The food thread

Has anyone done fermented grapes? Not wine, these are the lactobacillus type. I heard they were good and since my wife decided we needed a satchel full as they were on sale, I needed to get rid of some. My body struggles with fructose so I thought this was a good way of dealing with that.

Cut them in half and added some starter along with a small amount of salt. Took a while for them to get going but now they're bubbling away nicely. I will report back when they slow down and we get to try them.

I just stocked up in the things I would run out of, if I had to stay home for a few weeks. I took my suggestions from a survivalist site, that wanted to sell me semi-magical foodstuffs that would span the gap for several hundred dollars. I spent $34.82 at the local supermarket. If not needed it is all items I normally eat. Although I usually use the dried beans for soup at the start of winter.

It has been suggested folks my age stay home for the next 60 days. I only stocked up for 30. Hopefully the grocery stores will be restocked by then.

Anyone else do a reasonable stock up? I really don't mean horders. Sunday I did my normal shopping trip and was amazed at what was sold out. Plenty of fresh fruits and veggies. Of course no TP but plenty of facial tissues and paper towels. Ice cream, pasta, flour and rice were also wiped out.

I did set up my business schedule so one person will be in at all normal times to answer the phone, receive shipments, bring in the mail and most importantly make sure bids are out in time.

Last edited:

Anyone else do a reasonable stock up?

Chest freezer and two fridges here as well as dry goods for at least 90 days. I'm faced with my daughters employer favoring elderly employees over employees with elderly parents. My daughter ordered me to shelter in place and volunteered to shop for any perishables that I usually like taking extreme precautions.

You can always order the nicer bits from D'Artagnan.

My wife placed an order w Costco this morning -- a few hours later most of it was cancelled by the company owing to distribution issues. Will still get the k-cups of decaf which she loves...

We can go a month at least with no refreshing owing to a supply of dried kidney beans, gabanzos, dal and hot dogs! No need of TP really as the prior owners installed a bidet in the master bathroom. The supply of EtOH sufficient until Independence Day!

My friends in OH said that the State Liquor Authority will give a complete refund for any St. Patrick's Day supplies which become unnecessary.

Last edited:
My wife placed an order w Costco this morning -- a few hours later most of it was cancelled by the company owing to distribution issues. Will still get the k-cups of decaf which she loves...

My wife didn't understand the conversion between kilograms and pounds so we have 10 kilos of her favorite coffee. One bidet is already in and another is here, if we can't get the plumber here I guess I have to do the crap work again. As a landlord I've done unmentionable stuff, seriously unmentionable.

My wife didn't understand the conversion between kilograms and pounds

My wife is a molecular biologist and it took her a couple hours to figger how many teaspoons per cup of water, Clorox to water, to use as an effective disinfectant. Afraid to make a mistake. Her articles are cited hundreds of times per year! Mbe she should pipette it!

My wife is a molecular biologist and it took her a couple hours to figger how many teaspoons per cup of water, Clorox to water, to use as an effective disinfectant. Afraid to make a mistake. Her articles are cited hundreds of times per year! Mbe she should pipette it!

At night, when I was alone in the lab.....I'd mouth pipette.
It's easier...
...and I'm lazy.

99, even then at night when no one else was there...

They'd only just made those bulbs mandatory I think in the early 90's (at least at McMaster's science dept.)
I remember a prof use to do it in a summer program I was in. He was real old school, we use to joke that he knew how to use a slide rule! (I've never seen one of those used.)

Last edited:
I am assured that I am eating OK (not the most nutricious and healthy but not the worst), but last check with my cardiac nurse showed rising cholesterol values and my doc propose a dose of ... som new ****.

My idea is to really get a grip of myself and a) get a 1 hour outdoor "excercise" (walks/bikes) and start using more veggies and less potatoes/rice/pasta.

Slightly OT, but has any one of you managed to lower your cholesterall by adjusting what you eat?

I am assured that I am eating OK (not the most nutricious and healthy but not the worst), but last check with my cardiac nurse showed rising cholesterol values and my doc propose a dose of ... som new ****.

My idea is to really get a grip of myself and a) get a 1 hour outdoor "excercise" (walks/bikes) and start using more veggies and less potatoes/rice/pasta.

Slightly OT, but has any one of you managed to lower your cholesterall by adjusting what you eat?

I reduced meat to 200 g a week and that brought my LDL down to acceptable from where a statin would be needed. Chicken it turns out is also not so good. So fish might stand in for a bit of the meat.

I then added a glass of red wine a day and that raised my HDL by 20%.

Much better levels, below medical action points, but could be better.
Now I do need to up my excercise and loose some weight as my blood pressure is getting above the recommended numbers.

Here's a yellow cake with an espresso buttercream icing that I made with duck eggs. I've never cooked or tried duck eggs before. The cake rose a little higher and was more moist than usual. The icing was more flavourful. I finished it late at night and forgot to measure out the icing for the layers so it's a little thin in the middle and thick on top....and the layers a little uneven. But it tastes great.
There were 4 full eggs in the cake and 4 in the icing.

I'm not sure if I'll try one fried up with bacon or not. I got goat milk cheese a few months ago and ended up feeding it to my boys. They liked it but didn't know it was goat cheese. Goats...I don't know....they've got weird eyes, the pupils. It bothers me and I was unable to eat the cheese.

Attachments

• DSCF0425.JPG
    DSCF0425.JPG
    902.9 KB · Views: 112
  • goat.jpg
    goat.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
99, even then at night when no one else was there...

They'd only just made those bulbs mandatory I think in the early 90's (at least at McMaster's science dept.)
I remember a prof use to do it in a summer program I was in. He was real old school, we use to joke that he knew how to use a slide rule! (I've never seen one of those used.)

Hey, learning how to use a slide rule was a part of my junior-year HS algebra class, and I'm only 61. I still have a circular one around here somewhere and can still multiply and divide with it. We didn't mouth pipette in my college chem or micro labs, though, that was all rubber bulbs.

Anyone else do a reasonable stock up?

Not me, though it would be interesting to see how long I could go with what is in the fridge and cupboards. Not "interesting" in terms of food though, I would tire of beans. There isn't enough asafoetida in the world to prevent gas if I eat a lot of beans more than 2 days in a row.

WFH the last couple of weeks I am eating bigger lunches since I can wander in to the kitchen and cook something. I've got at least 5 grocery stores within walking distance as well as a few delis and bagel shops, plus depanneurs for beer and snacks. Weirdly quiet in the neighborhood, you can actually find a parking space! Liquor stores have some additional restrictions (eg. no cash) but are mostly open, though the ones in walking distance from me all close at 6PM most nights. The other evening after work I was out of beverages, could have gone to grocery store for some cheap wine and/or beer, but wanted something a little better and maybe some whisky, so took the subway and walked to a store I knew was open until 7PM on a Tuesday, but when I got there it was closed with a note in the window (tl;dr). I walked a few more blocks to a store that I knew was open until 9PM but it was closed. Or maybe not, I read later they were limiting the number of customers in the stores at a time, maybe I just had to wait a few minutes, there was no line. Either way I had to get wine at grocery store (a shiraz/cab from South Africa called "Twist of Fate", seemed appropriate). I kept walking along the busiest shopping street in Montreal, maybe in Canada, and it was almost empty. Bars closed, restaurants either closed or pick-up only, or the few that were open seemed empty. No students around, so that removes a lot of bodies downtown. One place had a big line, that was the weed store. This was St Patrick's day, so to see Ste Catherine St empty and sober was really strange.

My biggest worry right now is getting back to NS in 2 weeks. I have a flight booked but who knows if they will still be flying. My car is in Nova Scotia, so if they cancel my flight I guess I will try to rent a car. This all assumes we are all healthy.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I use a K+E Log Log Decitrig (link) from the early 60s. On the collectible market, these are expensive but, surprisingly, the manuals are even more expensive. I suspect that happens because when an original owner dies, his children keep Dear Old Dad's slide rule as a memento, but discard the manual. Thus, over time, the number of surviving slide rules far exceeds the number of surviving manuals.

_

Attachments

• sliderule.JPG
    sliderule.JPG
    484.6 KB · Views: 74