The food thread

No need for a shiny thing on the counter, look at swing out and up locking spring lifts. Properly done you can have a seemingly empty kitchen.

I just filled out a census survey where they asked if my kitchen had a range or fridge. Neither, but I do have ovens, inductive cooktops, a freezer, wine cooler, vegetable drawer and cold drawer. So apparently officially I can't prepare food at home.

I guess not being a fan of storing partially used food things in a big cold box until they are well expired means I am incapable of preparing food.

Oh so you guys like to clean all that stuff way too often. Putting it away tends to keep it clean.

Next step to make automatic electric appliance lifts. Just think how it would freak folks out, no visible appliances until they move out up and into place.

I might just have too much time on my hands.

But back to food. I new thing I have been trying is frozen fruit instead of ice cubes. For example I peel and chop up a small orange and use it to chill mineral water. If the fruit ain't quite the best a teaspoon of honey adds a nice touch.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Last year's excess Sungold cherry tomatoes got pureed and frozen in silicone ice cube trays. Now that it's hot outdoors, these become terrific non-dilutive ice cubes in Bloody Marys / Marias. Would be good in a Virgin Mary too but there's nobody under eighteen in our house, to request one.

If you've ever grown cherry tomatoes you are familiar with the expression "excess tomatoes". Particularly if you have more than one plant.

_

I like to grow sweet million instead of cherries, since they are a bit bigger so I can use them in sauce without puree in the blender. if I freeze them whole, when I de-frost, in some warm water, the skins come off easy.
Do you have clamato juice in the US? for a bloody Caesar, preferred in the north.
I'll go across the street to the river and wish the catfish a happy day :)
Can't say I ever ate a catfish, not sure I ever will either, maybe if someone puts it in front of me. I guess I am spoiled with perch in close proximity.

Last edited:
I like to grow sweet million instead of cherries
In these parts, sweet millions are one of many types of cherry tomato. Popular because of their yield.
Do you have clamato juice in the US? for a bloody Caesar, preferred in the north.
They do, but you pay through the nose for it. There's also something called Caesar mix or Bloody Caesar mix. It has no clam in it but otherwise similar. You also pay heavily for it. Not sure why but they both are about double what we pay here after conversion.

San Marzanno,
Interesting, since I see it is a Roma/plum variety which are known to be the least tasty, because they have a lot of flesh, but perfect for freezing and preserves. Probably one of the better tasting plum varieties however.
I have an heirloom variety growing too, it is flowering.
Should have said I prefer to grow sweet million instead of sweet 100's :) Last year I grew the grape variety, but they are not as sweet imo.

Last edited: