The food thread

You and I seem to have waaaay a different palate.:D
MBob,
I have enjoyed your contributions thus far and I hope you continue to add to this diverse group. Your input is more important than you know. I have learned and appreciated all the input from all the members. There are many here with more than I can imagine ever knowing.
If you look back, you'll find that I have some rather unorthodox dishes too.
A product that is often sold as pork intestine, and then, to those more familiar with pigs, sold as the uterus, is actually the fallopian tubes. The big hint is when you happen to notice the ovaries at the end.
There are so many good parts of an animal that should be used. I am sad there is so much hesitation on this side of the pond.
My gun toting days are over, but I hope to continue enjoying the fruits of those who can sustain off the land and bring that to the diyAudio table.
Cheers Bob.

Attachments

• IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_0968.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
You bet, I'll suspect in music too.

I appreciate all types of music as long as it’s done well.....classical, big band,country,classic rock,blues,soul,reggae, rap, even some modern pop on the playlist.

Not big on opera music or trop rock

As much as I love a good aged steak and even some pretty foul cheeses please Forgive me if I draw the line at liquid putrefaction! :yikes:

MBob,
I have enjoyed your contributions thus far and I hope you continue to add to this diverse group. Your input is more important than you know. I have learned and appreciated all the input from all the members. There are many here with more than I can imagine ever knowing.
If you look back, you'll find that I have some rather unorthodox dishes too.
A product that is often sold as pork intestine, and then, to those more familiar with pigs, sold as the uterus, is actually the fallopian tubes. The big hint is when you happen to notice the ovaries at the end.
There are so many good parts of an animal that should be used. I am sad there is so much hesitation on this side of the pond.
My gun toting days are over, but I hope to continue enjoying the fruits of those who can sustain off the land and bring that to the diyAudio table.
Cheers Bob.

Thanks Cal,

Yah man, it’s fun being able to communicate globally; seeing new things I’d never be exposed to otherwise.

I’ve eaten my fair share of Chitlins (chitterlings) and tried fried testicles (ehh).....even got duped into eating bull penis (it actually wasn’t bad)

Never seen or heard of eating the uterus......I will eat the hearts and livers regularly but not real big on the squishy parts!

My brother lives in eastern Ontario and is putting an addition on his house, which will be an apartment for our mother. So last week my wife and I drove my mother (and no small part of her belongings) to Montreal, and my brother and his wife met us there for the hand-off. Meanwhile, our daughter has finished her first year of university in Montreal, so we were picking her up, with a Uhaul trailer of her belongings, and bringing her home.

Montreal is a good city in which to eat. Tuesday we all met and were all staying in the city that night, so had to share a meal. I was out for a walk with my wife, mother, and daughter and we stumbled on a nice little bistro on Rue Prince Arthur and after a chat with the waitress reserved a table fir the six of us. We all had a lovely meal there (Les Deux Gamins), the center of which was a ribeye roast for 6 with roasted veg and duck-fat frites, along with a couple of good bottles of wine (a tasty Carignan and a decent Cotes de Blaye).

The next night after a day at the botanical gardens, my wife and I had a nice meal at a little Venezuelan place called Arepera that makes "arepas", thick corn "bread" served either stuffed or with black beans and rice. SWMBO had hers with avocado, I opted for roast pork, washed down with "jugo", a juice based sweet drink.

Thursday our daughter took us to her fave dumpling joint on Ste Catherine for soup dumplings (Shanghai dumplings with soup inside), and that night we went to Darbar, our favorite Indian joint on St Laurent for the best tandoori chicken ever, along with subtly spiced lamb as well as saag paneer.

Never even got to Schwartz's for smoked meat, but the pastries at our B&B made up for it.

So as a present/investment to myself, I'm looking at getting a "non crap" blender. It looks like within the residential realm, that means either Vitamix or blendtec. Maybe one of the osler machines that legitimately has a 1200 watt motor (sustained).

Any strong opinions? Should I just go with a laboratory rotor stator homogenizer per modernist cuisine? :)

Daniel, Ninja. Best bang for the buck imho. Vitamix is good, really good. Really expensive also.
This is the one we decided on. We are happier with ours than my SIL is with her Vitamix.
502 Server Error
Don't worry, the link works.
It's a triple level blade system and it doesn't struggle under load.
Pre-programs, while sometimes nothing more than a gimmick, (think InstaPot), are well thought here.

Last edited: