The food thread

Eh, we have both evaporated and condensed milk. The first you can pour, the second you have to heave out with a spoon. Has canada swapped them round, like milky way and mars bar?

Was not familiar with the story behind Milky Way / Mars.
Mars (chocolate bar - Wikipedia)

As far as I know the only difference between condensed milk (sweetened) and evaporated (unsweetened) is the added sugar.

Pulled pork anyone? :D

Attachments

• BC10369A-6CF4-48E3-AECB-995AF37894C4.jpg
    BC10369A-6CF4-48E3-AECB-995AF37894C4.jpg
    707.7 KB · Views: 80
Joined 2014
Paid Member
As far as I know the only difference between condensed milk (sweetened) and evaporated (unsweetened) is the added sugar.

A bit of research suggests you are right. I am suprised that just the sugar thickens it so. Condensed milk on bread used to be considered food!

Damnit Feel the need to make Banoffee pie now...

@Bob: They could use you in France. They are having a problem with too many boars and not enough people to shoot them!

Traditional german way of hunting wild boar is with dogs and a Saufeder.
In France they usually use 12 bores with slugs.
They used to make some interesting ammo specifically for boar hunting but many are banned these days.

Sauerbraten should be made with horse meat but these days they use beef in most regions.

Attachments

• saufeder.jpeg
    saufeder.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 94
Traditional german way of hunting wild boar is with dogs and a Saufeder.
In France they usually use 12 bores with slugs.
They used to make some interesting ammo specifically for boar hunting but many are banned these days.

Sauerbraten should be made with horse meat but these days they use beef in most regions.

Well Charles as traditional as that may be the knife crowd can have at it.....The one pictured is small, around 200lbs (they taste better) I have seen them regularly 300+ lbs and the bigger they get the longer the tusks!

Another factor is the flavor of the meat, stress induces cortisol and adrenaline.....my kills don’t see it coming and are usually a head shot for quick kill. I have yet to taste a worthy one yet where a ‘catch’ dog was used....in fact the hunters themselves know it and they mainly are used as sausage.

It’s a bit violent on all parties involved especially the dogs....even if they do enjoy it.

I would consider a suppressed 300 Blackout with a nightscope at short range (less than 100yards) in South Carolina woods. One must be careful of Swine brucellosis when processing a hog.

Around here the wild boar are not much of a problem yet. West TN has more problems with them. Unfortunately TWRA has banned hunting wild boar and are attempting to implement an eradication program.

Another factor is the flavor of the meat, stress induces cortisol and adrenaline.....my kills don’t see it coming and are usually a head shot for quick kill. I have yet to taste a worthy one yet where a ‘catch’ dog was used....in fact the hunters themselves know it and they mainly are used as sausage.

Some like the gameness, I had some Black Forest boar that was "liquid with putrefaction" as they say (the waiter begged me not to subject the rest of the customers with it's presence). Same goes for Scottish hare and grouse, nothing like it with an old school fetid Barolo or Burgundy that "smells of merdre".

Pulled pork anyone? :D

Adam Corolla talked about pulled pork in the latest Dennis Miller podcast --

When I was a kid and my grandpa would choose
to butcher a steer, he would have my Uncle feed
it some tasty hay and very calmly shoot it between
the eyes. He said ( agreeing with above ), that if
it got excited and ran, the adrenaline toughened
the and fouled the taste of the meat .

Once it saw the shotgun it emptied its lower intestine too!

Well Charles as traditional as that may be the knife crowd can have at it.....

To be fair to kill a boar with a Saufeder (a short spear) was probably more a rite of passage than a regular way of putting meat on the table.
I should think it is illegal now but I couldn't say for sure.

Either way if you have some boar meat you should make Carne de Porco Á Alentejana at least once. :)

Some like the gameness, I had some Black Forest boar that was "liquid with putrefaction" as they say (the waiter begged me not to subject the rest of the customers with it's presence). Same goes for Scottish hare and grouse, nothing like it with an old school fetid Barolo or Burgundy that "smells of merdre".

You and I seem to have waaaay a different palate.:D