The food thread

Oh, but our lobster is better. :)

The tuna is almost always the northern cold water variety so they can do the obligatory sushi type dishes. I wouldn't know about mahi mahi I usually judge by looking for whole fish in the market not broken down, I could be wrong. Even in Boston where dayboats are still common I've seen portion controlled frozen fish at supposedly one step up restaurants.

Lobster varies so much by season and diet I don't know how one can tell. I doubt it would pass a DBT. ;) You do get to keep the big ones we don't anymore.

Many marmalade recipes call for soaking the whole fruit (usually Seville oranges and lemons) before starting the process. It is not clear why that is done, it might produce more juice but I assume it would be watery, it may also be to soften the peel and aid in pectin extraction.

On Sicily they stick holes with a skewer through the oranges and let them soake in water for a period of time to reduce bitterness. Did see that in one of the "celebrity travels the world trying out local specialities".

While in the Caribbean

every public beach or fishery marina on Curaçao has a concrete fish processing/gutting shack.
Local fishers with their small boats offer their catch of the day each morning at 7am
One day it can be a giant murene, chunks of murene chopped and sold from the van. One other days it's plenty of red snapper, dradu.
Lots of harpoon fresh Lionfish on offer daily, caught by sports divers fighting the plague every idle hour.

Every wednesday morning, local fishers pick small Kiwa snails from rocks at the waterline. Wednesday afternoon, after 2pm, it's Kiwa salade time, served on a Pan Fransés less than an hour out of the oven. Real Treat !
Fresh is the ticket in the Caribbean.

(I just bought Iranian Beluga for Easter at a friendly discount, 250gr tin for €700, regular rate €5000/1000gr. No Chinese/Baeri languid for me. Has the US ban on Iranian Huso already been lifted ? )

Jacco, how you making out these days?

Never would have believed damaging a neck could lead to so much physical trouble.
A 2nd MRI scan revealed that I even have a WMD spot in my brain stem.
The brain stem regulates the sympathic system

The prospect of total dementia at age 60 isn't all bad, at least I can finally forget all about the ex-mrs.
Though the thought of losing my sense of humor is a total bummer.

Never would have believed damaging a neck could lead to so much physical trouble.
A 2nd MRI scan revealed that I even have a WMD spot in my brain stem.
The brain stem regulates the sympathic system

The prospect of total dementia at age 60 isn't all bad, at least I can finally forget all about the ex-mrs.
Though the thought of losing my sense of humor is a total bummer.

At the least it is a matter of current research on White Matter Dementia. Before MRIs the observation of damage was only done at autopsy time.

So there is a not unreasonable possibility of effective treatment.

But it still stinks. (I was going to use a stronger word but not sure it would pass censorship.)

I do offer you my best wishes.

Well about soaking oranges, it does freshen then up, but it seems no one picked up my before and after images were posted on April first!

There really is to my eye no perceptible size change. The oranges slowly loose moisture and only seem to regain the lost moisture.

(Thread times are GMT!)

Last edited:
My point is only that the northern lobsters have claws, and I think a very different flavor than the tropical ones. Pretty sure you could tell the difference blindfolded.

My bad, I thought you were making the Canadian vs Maine comment. I had a lobster club sandwich at a bar in Curaçao that was quite something for $6.50 but yes cold and warm water lobsters are quite different in taste.

So there is a not unreasonable possibility of effective treatment.

There's a causal relationship between the presence of White Matter Disease, and development of dementia and/or depression.
(applies to pathological stages Fazekas II and III, defined by several single White Matter lesions having merged into White Matter areas)

The bulk of research of WMD with assistance of NMR techniques is focussed on/around the periventricular area (=the butterfly shaped cavity areas in the center of the brain).
It's where the bulk of WMD lesions are located : Volume, not (risk) Value

The brainstem is the regulatory organ for the parasympathic/(ortho)sympathic system. In their modus operandi, one system is the antagonist of the other.
For an example :
- the parasympathic system is responsible for making eye pupils smaller
- the sympathic system widenes eye pupils

About a decade ago I had my eyes lasered to 20/20 long range vision,and 100% axis accuracy on both eyes.
Outcome was not only excellent vision, but also remarkable depth perception and spooky night vision.
Driving a V8 Audi Q7 at speedometer 155MPH on the German autobahn to Munich at night felt like turning the wheel of a videogame
(my girlfriend on the co-driver seat yelling at me all the way from the border crossing to the Munich ringway)

What happened to me shortly after I had my neck accident was that I slowly started to lose the superb night vision, eventually turned to night blindness.
Rooms in the house started to look less lit, the TV screen appeared darker (Philips LCD ambilight).
At first I thought the LED lights in the house became less bright due to luminance decay, and brightness setting of the TV screen had somehow been altered.

At a later stage I noticed I could see sharp only with sufficient light intensity, after sundown my vision became less clear.
A visit to an eye doctor came up empty, nothing wrong with the retina of either eye (coming May, they'll check for Macular Degeneration)

Couple of months ago I noticed my eye pupils remain small at various brightness conditions, in a shaded room they do not enlarge.
Only plausible reason for this is a flaw in the control system room, the brainstem. (sympathetic/parasympathic nerves are either conductive or non-conductive).
As it happens, the MRI of my brainstem shows a spot of WMD dead center.

Just one example.
A year ago, my hearing had gone down 35dB at 4kHz in a few months, a few months later it was 40dB, now it's in the order of 50dB.
The brainstem, and the parasympathetic/orthosympathetic systems also monitor/control hearing.
Could be that the neck trauma damaged my hearing

The brainstem controls about a dozen more bodily functions, several of which I'm experiencing difficulties with, e.g. breathing frequency.

And then there's WMD in my brain itself, the MRI of my brain in March last year was diagnosed as Fazekas I, the MRI of December as Fazekas level II

Something's rotten in the state of Denmark, and the odour appears to derive from ME :clown:

Back to food, I'm treating myself a Kamado BBQ egg coming friday, Burgundy red

Last edited:
WMD's are the true weapons of mass destruction. Wishing you the best, Jacco.

I re-asked my neighbor: she just soaks the oranges for the marmalade, but soaks/boils the peels of other oranges to use as her gelatin/water combo for other preserves. We can take this for whatever it's worth.

We mostly do various trouts here in Portland as that's the easiest to get fresh and tends to be more tolerant of doneness, so we can accommodate the whole spectrum of good to overcooked.

I'd stick the oranges in a microwave before squeezing, loads more juice.

I usually do that to lemons and limes, but rarely have oranges around. Ed got me though. Sorry about the problems, does having people around that know way too much about this stuff make it better or worse?

Speaking of chicken soup, someone took me to his hometown in Longsheng and we had their version of chicken soup with Chinese medicine with tea seed oil which was unforgettable. I just got 5lb of necks and bones from a local farmer to make a big batch I wish I could bring some by.

Last edited: