The food thread

I have been playing with soaking oranges. I tried three large oranges and got 3.5 ounces of juice from each. I then soaked some more stems down overnight and the next day got 4 ounces of juice. Interestingly enough the soaked version produced better tasting juice.

The dry ones were perhaps a bit more bitter as the juicing took more effort and may have gotten some of the peel oil or perhaps I just prefer more water to the dissolved orange bit.

Cal, what happened on Tuesday? My Thursday visit for eyelids dropping confirmed the cause and it is not expected to get worse. I did get pills to make it better over a few months.

Jacko, again best wishes and I suspect the only thing worse is to have an enormous ego and be slipping into Altzheimers in full public television view and not be aware of it.

the only thing worse.

Mr. Reagan was two and a half weeks short of turning 78 on his last day in office, Nancy Reagan was a fine president.
Mr. Trump is without a doubt faking it.

With my background, chicken soup is the No1 national dish of Indonesia: Soto
Soto Ayam recipe : Indonesian Chicken Soup With Noodles, Turmeric and Ginger (Soto Ayam) Recipe - NYT Cooking

Besides Indonesia, prepared Soto can be had at restaurants or take-outs :
- in the Netherlands
- in Surinam, where it's named Saoto
- on Curaçao, a substantial number of people who live/lived on the island originate from Surinam and/or Indonesia, brought over by Shell in the beginning of the 20th century to work in the Venezuelan oil refining

A recommendation for chicken thighs, for me and the 'mamselle:

4 chicken thighs.

Take a lemon, sprig of basil and four garlic cloves. Grate the garlic, zest the lemon and chop the basil, combine but reserve about a quarter.

Slit the chicken thighs on the skin side and incorporate the lemon etc. under the skin.

Broil about nine inches below the top of the broiler for 16 mins skinside down, flip and broil again skinside up 15 minutes.

With the remaining garlic, juice of the lemon, tablespoon of EVOO and a teaspoon of sugar make a sauce to ladle over the chicken. Replace chicken in broiler for a minute (or less) with the sauce.

This was great!

I have been playing with soaking oranges.

Ed I have a question do you consider fake food out and out fraud or just that people don't inform themselves. I saw some tobiko colored with squid ink sold as "caviar" but it was clearly labeled all over as to what it was and this is a fairly common product. OTOH the Dept of Ag. has found by DNA testing a large number of truly fraudulent fish.

Third person fraud is also prevalent, I have been served surimi as king crab you simply ask for it to be removed from the bill and don't return. The swap of farmed tilapia for wild red snapper is more difficult, I don't carry a portable DNA kit. Some restaurant owners have been very belligerent when called out by the food police.

Some restaurant owners have been very belligerent when called out by the food police.

Dip the shrimp in bleach?

I have two restaurants in suburban NJ which I will never go back to -- bad scallops in one, bad soft-shell crab in another.

btw, there is a UChicago prof in the computer sciences dept who is using AI to deconstruct YELP restaurant reviews and recreate new reviews which most observers can't distinguish from the genuine ones.

I think I mentioned one of my employees after attending a restaurant show (they use sound systems) tipped off the local food critic about surimi when it was begining to become more common. He was delighted to call out the restaurant that next tried that bit of fakery.

I often see imitation foods labelled correctly. I have never had a restaurant try to serve me something incorrect that I have caught.

As to fish, I can only assume you are aware there are some fish names that are effectively generic. I used to know well the regional fish wholesaler locally. Rarely heard of fish fakery.

I have been served horse meat sold as beef.

I have no problem with fake caviar labelled as such. I think I mentioned the Russian stuff is labelled as "Imperial Caviar." The list of ingrediants makes it clear that it is not the real thing. But then the jars I get are labelled in Russian.

Unfortunately the extremely influential local food critic killed himself when he was about to be criminally charge with taking bribes.

btw, there is a UChicago prof in the computer sciences dept who is using AI to deconstruct YELP restaurant reviews and recreate new reviews which most observers can't distinguish from the genuine ones.

That's funny parsing YELP reviews is a fun past time. There was a sushi restaurant in silicon valley that had about 95% 5 star reviews and one incredibly well written 1 star review. By reading all of them it was obvious the 1 star review was spot on. I doubt any AI could do this. It is hard to spot the lack of knowledge and experience of the reviewers or simply 5 stars for mass quantity of OK food.

As to fish, I can only assume you are aware there are some fish names that are effectively generic. I used to know well the regional fish wholesaler locally. Rarely heard of fish fakery.

Yea, scrod is meaningless but tilapia vs snapper is not just in a name. I'm surprised you have not seen the stories, huge fines have been levied on some noteworthy restaurants and the articles are easy to find.

8 sushi restaurants fined for selling fake lobster rolls | fox5sandiego.com

tipped off the local food critic about surimi

IMO you would have to be fairly unaware to not be able to identify surimi. BTW they are very proud of it in many places but never pass it off as anything but what it is, people have different means after all.

Last edited:
Fake lobster roll is criminal!

Hence the fines. On the fish put yourself in that position, a dish with sauce and garnishes and you're there with friends and family just to have a good time. Do you make a scene based on your hunch? I did make a scene at a restaurant in ME where they offered fresh local shrimp, I told the waitress that I was not aware of the fishing ban being lifted on them. I assume the menu still says the same thing.

At my local sushi place the lobster roll comes with a few of the tail fins. I don't think I have ever had fake lobster that was close to a real cold water lobster. One of the local Chinese places does use warm water lobster. Generally not a high point.

In a California roll I don't expect any real unprocessed fish.

Now as identifying fake crab legs, easy once you know they exist. But back then pretty much unknown.

Then there was the restaurant that got busted for reusing seafood shells!

Last edited:
Now as identifying fake crab legs, easy once you know they exist. But back then pretty much unknown.

The process for making surimi was developed in many areas of East Asia over several centuries though the exact history and origins of this product are unclear. In China, the food was used to make fish balls (魚蛋/魚丸) and ingredients in a thick soup known as "Geng" (羹) common in Fujian cuisine. In Japan, it is used in the making of numerous kamaboko, fish sausage, or cured surimi products.

Ed you need to dine at a sushi nazi restaurant. Nothing at all that is not traditional i.e. no spicy tuna rolls or California rolls. Uni and sweet fish guts will straighten you out. :)

Last edited:
Unkown to the U.S. Market. But you knew that, you just wanted to be contrary. Today every grocery store carries some. But at that restaurant show it was being introduced to the trade. There is a reason why some restauranteurs thought no one would catch their use of fakes.

Sushi has been around a least a couple of weeks, but I recall when the first few specialty restaurants appeared locally. (Then there was the girl friend candidate who was a native Japanese sushi chef... Yes I have tried a bit. If you dislike California rolls, I really dislike Philadelphia rolls.)

Still waiting for ingomatz to become common. Probably will mark the end of the world. (I suspect you will have difficulty even finding a recipe.)

The fun of doing the show was taking home samples and getting leftover samples that would otherwise been sent to the dumpster.

Last edited:
If you dislike California rolls, I really dislike Philadelphia rolls.)

That would be correct, I don't put cheeze whiz on steak either. :whazzat: :) Not trying to be contrary it's just that I have not experienced (in the case of surimi) a version seriously attempting to be difficult to tell from the real thing. They had surimi shrimp on a cheap cruise ship that could not possibly fool anyone. I was on an art retreat having lunch with my Chinese teacher and we were having seitan stir fry and he said "I thought there was not suppose to be any meat in the food here".

Last edited:
Cal, what happened on Tuesday?

Ed, I am glad to hear that there is a chance for recovery or at least a stop to the worsening of your eyelid.

Today, we are 111 days into this shoulder thing. On Tuesday, the surgeon analyzed all the info and suggested we hold off on the surgery for now. I have Post Traumatic Frozen Shoulder. The outlying damage will recover eventually and he has put me on a rigorous 8 week Aggressive Stretch Program. It's self explanatory. I no longer use pain as my guideline for when to stop. I am to endure it and make sure all my doors and windows are closed for fear of horrifying the neighbours with the associated language. I am to use whatever means I find necessary to deal with the discomfort, be it double the opioids or triple the rum, in order to get things moving. To this point there has been significant improvement.

Cal,

I suspect you have a great surgeon. Now all you need to do is play on the monkey bars.

One of those fun things I learned the hard way is it is important to actually use the narcotics! Avoiding them because of addiction risks can create other problems. Without them you limit your movements and can not just freeze up joints but in some cases where breathing is painful relying on just shallow breaths can lead to pneumonia.

Thanks but fixing my eyelids is just about a sure thing. Takes four to five weeks to fix and then another two weaning off the drug.

Only problem is the drug tends to increase appetite so you have to count calories accurately.