The food thread

Apparently it requires a lot of processing, as well. Rapeseed oil is naturally gren so it needs to be chemically bleached to get that clear yellowish oil in the grocery store. Some folks around here are selling organic, non-gmo rapeseed oil but it is crazy expensive. And green.

Supermarkets here sell Virgin Rape Seed oil at silly prices and in tiny bottles but that is a deep honey in colour.

Attachments

• oily.jpeg
    oily.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 100
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I didn't know that there is coconut flour!

Share the recipe if it works out because I love cocnonut.

OK...First experiment was only partial success. I knew I would need more liquid so added a bit more. Wasn't enough so added a bit more, wasn't enough so added a bit more, then it was too much. I put more wheat flour in but the damage was done. I now have a bready breezeblock, which tastes good, but is not dissimilar in texture to German Schwartzbrot. But looks like a 25% substitution of coconut flour can be made to work.

But olive oil has the cache of being the healthiest. The smoke also clues me in to the right temperature. I buy the $16 a gallon stuff. Not gourmet as it has almost no flavor.

Started using it as my HDL cholesterol was too low. Almost normal now, but no one would ever accuse me of being normal in any way.

Since gotten chronically ill I have swapped out a lot of food stuff, for cooking/frying the rapeseed had to leave way for olive oil and from Greece only but it's quite expensive ~16€/l., no Spanish and definitely no Italian, there have been so many scandals in the past with diluted olive oil and added green color.
Have tried cold pressed rapeseed oil though, have seen both dark honey and green color variants.

As for the Omega 3 I recently bought a bottle of Möller's cod liver oil to support my health,
Moller’s Cod Liver Oil - Moller's
Would have been better if one could eat fish more often but the "authorities" tells us to not eat fish more than 1-2 times a week, don't know if the liver oil is any better then.
It ought to be pointed out that the human body barely can utilize the vegetable based Omega 3 as the plant based differs from the animal based, at least so the stories goes, below one article on the matter.

The Critical Differences Between Omega-3 Fats From Plants and Marine Animals - September 11, 2016 - Mercola.com
Marine animal-based omega-3 (fatty fish, fish oil and krill oil) primarily contain docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), a long-chained PUFA consisting of 22 carbons and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), which has 20 carbons.
Plant-based omega-3 (found in flaxseed, flaxseed oil, chia seeds, walnuts and leafy greens, for example) contain alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), a shorter-chained PUFA consisting of 18 carbons. They are completely devoid of DHA and EPA.

Why You Cannot Substitute Animal-Based Omega-3 With Plant-Based Omega-3

ALA is a precursor to EPA and DHA. However, an enzyme is required to convert the shorter 18 carbon ALA into long-chained omega-3. In most people, this enzyme doesn't work very well and hence the conversion rate is exceptionally small.

Typically, less than 1 percent of the ALA is converted to EPA. Some studies have found the conversion rate to be as 0.1 to 0.5 percent.1 Your conversion is also dependent on having adequate levels of other vitamins and minerals.

So, while a tiny amount of the ALA you consume can be converted by your body into long-chain omega-3, it's a highly inefficient strategy and nowhere near as helpful as supplying "straight" DHA and EPA from marine sources.

Last edited:
The combination of Brussels sprouts and oatmeal would re-float the Hindenburg.

:eek: always stand upwind of Cal at a weekend long fest where food & beer is involved - which is
pretty much all of them, I think

Asparagus is my personal kryptonite - fortunately, as with artichokes, I dislike the taste enough that the next few voidings are seldom a problem. But forgetting about the beets you enjoyed the night before can give a scare, particularly if you’ve had a history of “benign” prostitis.

Last edited:
I love asparagus as well but I have noticed that every time I eat it my urine has a very weird smell...Anyone ever notice it? Or is it just me? LOL

There's a genetic marker for it just as for the folks who cab't stand cilantro. There's also one for people who sneeze when walking out of a dark room into bright sunlight.

We had a popular food critic that would not take the cilantro issue into account and routinely panned excellent Mexican restaurants. We use 2-3 full bunches of it a week.

Fresh coriander (cilantro) tastes like soap to me, the ground seeds are fine though.

I use it in indian cooking, both fresh and ground, but the soapiness either gets masked or disappears when cooked. It is horrible in salads.

I wonder if there is a genetic component to how we perceive sweeteners because they leave an intense bitter after taste with me that I can't imagine anybody putting up with but most others don't seem to notice.