The food thread

Tomato Pesto ....

Attachments

• IMG_20180509_233536.jpg
    IMG_20180509_233536.jpg
    855.2 KB · Views: 184
Hi jackinnj

This one is very easy. Get 3- 4 potatoes, max apx 300-400 gramms total weight.
Use this kind which does not get so soft after cooking.
Peel and grate them. Add a flat teaspon salt, mix and cure for 20 minutes.
In the meantime get 2 red onions, peel and cut in small slices.
Get 20 grams parmigiano and grate.

...snip. This recipe for rosti is great, I need to print it. I keep coming back and searching this thread to find it!

6" crayfish? I wish. I'd eat em.

Britain is pretty much overrun by signal crayfish introduced from North America. They drive out the indigenous, smaller white-clawed crayfish and decimate fish stocks by eating eggs and fry. Here in the West Midlands there are only a couple of ponds left with local crayfish.
It is illegal to put signal crays back but taking out white clawed ones could land you in court.
Licenses for traps are easy to get and largely free but I'm not sure I'd want to eat anything from a Birmingham canal.

The indigenous crayfish here never was common either but that is the problem with introducing species: Unless you also introduce whatever keeps their numbers down in their original habitat you'll get a plague.

FYI you have returned the favor so to speak. It'a amazing how much damage the green crab has done over here. Do you think we could get the two to consider each other food?

GISD

Joined 2014
Paid Member
When I lived in Newbury I would see kids fishing for crayfish with bacon.

The guy behind this recipe Valentine Warner | Crayfish with hazelnut and Pastis butter did it on TV and he used a bucket and salmon heads to catch his crayfish. Daddy owning a farm with a stream through it helped.

Tricky thing is that it's illegal to fish for indigenous crayfish.

Call to relax rules on trapping crayfish in Loch Ken - BBC News they are trying to eradicate them. Daft thing is that they are fishing them all out, boiling them on the spot and then dumping them rather than letting people eat them..

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Daft thing is that they are fishing them all out, boiling them on the spot and then dumping them rather than letting people eat them..

Liability is ruining life for everyone.

30 mins from here you used to be able to get a good feed of oysters all along the beachfront at Swansea heads but they're all gone now.

I wonder if some ranger will come along and stop us from eating them even if they still existed.

I would love to build my own log cabin but I don't think I can legally, I'm 100% sure that the local council would come in and bulldoze it, despite the roof being sturdy and being no threat of a cave in.

Last edited:
FYI you have returned the favor so to speak. It'a amazing how much damage the green crab has done over here. Do you think we could get the two to consider each other food?

GISD

We've done to ourselves.
It was introduced on purpose. Initially in Scandinavia because they love crayfish and European crayfish numbers were on the decline due to a disease.
It was assumed that the signal crayfish was less prone to succumbing from it.
Turns out it was pretty much immune and furthermore a carrier of that disease.

Double whammy for the european crayfish.

Liability is ruining life for everyone.

30 mins from here you used to be able to get a good feed of oysters all along the beachfront at Swansea heads but they're all gone now.

I wonder if some ranger will come along and stop us from eating them even if they still existed.

I would love to build my own log cabin but I don't think I can legally, I'm 100% sure that the local council would come in and bulldoze it, despite the roof being sturdy and being no threat of a cave in.

In the SE USA, one can buy a kit for a Log house, or have one assembled. A friend I knew in the early 80s had a 2000sq-ft log home. Hiding wiring and plumbing is the most difficult part.

Log Homes, Cabins, & Houses: Battle Creek Log Homes, TN | Kits & Plans

Would like a Howard Johnson's "Clam Roll" right about now given all this discussion.

Last HoJo's closed in 2005 or so...Jacques Pepin famously worked for the company when he arrived in the US. When in College (El Bronx), the HOJO on Southern Blvd and Fordham Rd was a great attraction owing to their "all u can eat" fish fry on Tuesday evenings.

Double whammy for the european crayfish.

Just stumbled across that movie in local internet news.
Sorry, in German. Features the one licensed fisherman in action
and the market hall where the crayfish are sold.

< Neue Delikatesse der Hauptstadt: Problem-Krebse begeistern Feinschmecker - n-tv.de >

They have caught some last year already but they were not fit
for selling until the authorities OKed it after checking residuals etc.
We are here in .de, after all.