The food thread

Similar to this?

Wings, Brats, celery and carrots for Superbowl 51.

Yes, I think Ed meant 1980's because they are plentiful second hand here. My son made up some as Christmas gifts last year but mixed the species. This is not a good idea in general because some exotic woods invoke strong allergic reactions in some people and in any case I don't believe in using rain forest woods as jewelry.

The fish in post 7132 is a bluegill
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluegill
I have fond memories of catching a pail full of bluegills in an amazingly short time with a bamboo pole in california maybe 40 years ago. Don't remember what they tasted like, but definitely better than bullheads ;)

There are two types of crappies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crappie
Nice mild flesh, quite tasty.

Yes, from lake fishing in WI 50yr. ago all were tasty. I realized the last couple of weeks just how much cold and warm salt water fish and fresh water fish were distinct in their qualities. It was interesting how folks that grew up exclusively with one disliked others when they really were quite enjoyable (to me at least).

Funny how easy tender becomes mushy. My most surprising experience was with folks from ME, Canada, Brittany, and Scotland and their reaction to warm water lobster at best (grilled) it was flaky and tender like bass but tasted like a nice sweet prawn. They just thought it was mushy and tasteless while the folks on the other side find cold water lobster tough and chewy. I'll take both thankyou.

Last edited:
John Boos still makes end-grain cutting boards out of hickory or maple. Perhaps that style got a bad rap because of some negative comments in Cook's Illustrated - which might explain the second hand market.

Mark -- that's beautiful bread. I'm looking for a good German-style seed bread recipe if anyone has a suggestion. My go-to recipe for that was in 'The Village Baker' by Joe Ortiz.

We made a sort of pulled beef the other day.
I'll be darned.
Braised Brisket, 8 hours at 280ºF then cooled, shredded, sauced and reheated . Makes a super sandwich. Here's the last of it. The white stuff is fried onion.

Attachments

• IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 82
In the meantime...

...this is my first time fermenting dried pepper flakes. I got 5 lbs. for $16 CAD. Couldn't resist. They seem to take a while getting going even though I used yogurt whey as a booster. This is day 12 and, as you can see, the bubbles are starting to happen a lot better now. Next week, I will add bell peppers and ferment a further week before processing. I used some black lava salt in the brine so this is bound to be a deep rich red, or...?

Attachments

• IMG_1603.jpg
    IMG_1603.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 72
Crappies? (just curious, those things don't grow here)

Sorry I missed your post.

Blue Gill are a member of the perch family. They are indigenous to most of the southern USA from Georgia across to California.

Another members of the perch family related to Blue Gill are Shell Crackers.

These are also known as Bream or Sunfish, not to be confused with salt water Sunfish.

Depending on diet, they are a clean tasting fish. their flesh is flaky and less oily than bass.

Similar to this?

Wings, Brats, celery and carrots for Superbowl 51.

Exactly that!

Scott, no back then even floors were often end grain. They had much bigger logs to start with and the machinery with a common steam engine or the much rarer water wheel to cut them. Before power saw mills wood was ripped with the grain as that was much easier. Once power came in crosscutting became quite popular. Steam engines were portable (!) and could be set up where the logs were felled, greatly increasing processing efficiency.

As logs got smaller much less useful wood for end grain blocks and things move towards all long grain again.

As to tropical woods, yes a fair number of them have sap that is at least mildly poisonous.

Even though it's not specifically stated,
it appears to me that the Strub's are
also actually ' fermented ' .............
If you have a look at the last line on the label, I think that gives us a clue. :)
Yay! Rollmops!!!
The herring I got is actually whole body chunks, not filets so they look a like rollmops but I couldn't make them into it.