The food thread

We make it too seldom, but on a few occassions we make a texmex twist and spice the meat with a pack of texmex spices, the kind used for tacos:

07311310031015_c1n1.jpg

Sauce is on. It will be ready for Lasagna by Sunday.

Tomorrow I'm brewing so I won't have time to cook.

four cloves of garlic
two TBSP butter
brown garlic and add three purple onions chopped fine
2tbsp Balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup red wine
3 -28oz cans crushed tomatoes

Now simmering on low.

I'll add cheese and tomato paste later tonight.

Attachments

• DSCN2977[1].jpg
    DSCN2977[1].jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
I have a pound of Hot Italian sausage and two pounds of ground chuck.

I like the Chuck for the fat and flavor.

I plan on doing a mixed Italian and chuck scrambled and browned and added to the sauce.

Layers of noodles, sauce, greens, cheese, repeat.

Bake at 325 till the middle is bubbling.

My wife has always made the lasagna around here. She makes a cheese-cream sauce, that is yer basic white sauce (yet low-cal) with a bunch of parmesan stirred in. She used to spend a lot of time on the red sauce but nowadays she just uses a jar of a decent sauce that isn't too salty or full of cra^H^H^Hsurplus ingredients. Layered with browned ground beef, spinach, noodles, and shredded mozzarella. I can't remember the exact order, but it's pretty good. I think she got the recipe from a cook book of her mother's from the early 1970's. Cal you might not be quite as old as me, but I'm sure you have an ida of what Canadian "Italian food" looked like back then, at least in communities where there were not a lot of Italians. :)

Tomato sauce without basil?

As they say: If you only have enough space to grow one herb grow basil. if you have enough room for two grow more basil. ;-)

Lets just pretend he's adding it fresh at the very end so it doesn't lose its flavor while cooking.

* While not pretty, I take all the end of season leaves, wash them and put them whole in the freezer. Sure, they're brown when you get them back out, but mid-winter, they add a lot of freshness to a dish. Also, you can grow them inside.

D