The food thread

Cows with BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy) carry a prion, concentrated in brain and spinal cord tissue.

I had never considered that that meant oxtail which IIRC was never banned in the US. BTW the oxtail in Jamaica was very different, much more finely structured bones than we have here.

The cruise had a non-inclusive restaurant with an all you can eat meal every sea day. My wife has been wowed by dry aged fillet mignon from Charolais and Chianina we will never do heavily grain finished again.

So strange, no-one talks about the mad cow disease today.

Talkking 'bout food. We had rostbeef from lamb today with baked sweet potatoes and a salad with avocado and chick peas with tow blends of red beets/kiwi and avocado/lime.

Attachments

• IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 77
In humans, infection with high levels of prions causes a variant of Creutzfeldt Jacob disease. vCJD is comparable to Alzheimer's, but a lot worse as people of any age can get it.

The alzheimers comparison is apt, as I have heard secondhand of a person with vCJD who used to work where I did. They became rather juvenile and combative before ceasing employment and died some tens(?) of months later...

But I get you the translations, don't I?!:confused: On the other hand, with five new albums from Marillion, there should be some titles that would do it and - sorry for OT - I had an idea to throw in a song from the Swedish baptists about the SF theme - "We will fly away from Moon, we will fly away from Mars ... we will fly to Jesus, who's our greatest friend ..."

My wife, who is born and raised in Russia, is the one who finds new recipes and have me to try them out.
Guess you've understood that our travels to various places also is a way to try local food (and drinks).
In three weeks time we will go to Morocco and see what is offered there.

And talking about not so nice things. Every bad/Black headline seems to fade away. No more talk about mad cows or pigs carrying MRSA. Strange?

Heat resistant to ~450C, ain't that a critter.

All other biological agents which are detrimental to our health are caused by something alive in the wider sense ie bacteria or viruses.
They rely on DNA to multiply and increase in number and DNA is a fairly fragile molecule.

The prion is just a dead lump of protein, it multiplies because stringy proteins have a tendency to fold if they are close to another folded one.

So it can't be destroyed or neutralised in food without destroying the food but unlike other toxins like lead, mercury or pesticide/herbicide residue which have to ingested in large doses or cumulatively to be detrimental the prion does multiply once in the body.

Devious stuff for sure but also quite interesting.

No more talk about mad cows or pigs carrying MRSA. Strange?

-It's the farmers who become infected with MRSA, but not necessarily turn ill, only those with a poor functioning immune system.
-MRSA count in beef/pig meat is pretty low. Provided one handles the meat as poultry (salmonella/campylobacter), in a hygienic manner, heating it through & through, there's no risk of catching the bug.
-MRSA infection can be treated with medication, the type transmitted through live stock more effectively/easily than the MRSA genus which is present/transmitted in hospitals.

First case of MRSA infection among cow/pig farmers that popped up here has been over a decade and a half ago. Farmers are encouraged to use less antibiotics.
Pig farmers who wind up in hospital for any particular reason, are screened for MRSA, even the non-infected ones receive a nose ointment to prevent them from catching MRSA.

The problem of resistent bacteria is of a much greater scale in nations as India and China. Folks there swallow antibiotics on a mass scale, they're easily available without prescription and at low cost.
Resistent bacteria are present in the water of the Ganges, street dirt in the large cities. Folks in India sheit in the streets, no plumbing, no clean water.

On a global scale, the issue of ESBL (extended spectrum beta lactamase) is of a much higher order than MRSA.
ESBL is present in beef/pig meat, but chicken meat is the No 1 transmitter.
+ KPC, + NDM-1, + Oxa-48 bacteria, + ...

Last edited:
Happy Birthday to me

You should nominate yourself for the 2020 general elections.

After many decades of hunting for masa harina, I finally managed to get my hands on the real deal.
I have several tortilla/papad press machines, even a DIY one, but regular corn flour turned into sand castle disasters every single time.

Anyone with a technique on how to remove the skin off of fresh corn kernels, hit me !

I have just returned from "Happy Acres" where I spent the weekend. I took 30 home made brats and a keg of Hefeweizen beer. All now just memories.

I also spent a bit of time fishing and riding 4-wheelers through the woods.

I came home to snow through Sam's Gap above Asheville. I don't look forward to tomorrow at work.

Attachments

• 20170127_140705.jpg
    20170127_140705.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
  • 20170128_141338.jpg
    20170128_141338.jpg
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 77
After many decades of hunting for masa harina, I finally managed to get my hands on the real deal.
I have several tortilla/papad press machines, even a DIY one, but regular corn flour turned into sand castle disasters every single time.

Anyone with a technique on how to remove the skin off of fresh corn kernels, hit me !

Mesoamerican Miracle Megapost: Tortillas and Nixtamalization

I've never done it, but remembered reading this ages ago.

Happy Birthday to you!

Sounds like a great dinner!:lickface:

Sous vide is becoming popular in Sweden too.

And lets hope your Mexican grocery store won't disappear too ....:worried:

We'll have BIG problems if this Mexican grocery store goes away. It's right in the middle of a large Hispanic population.

As far as the sous vide, it's a tool. Pretty handy for certain applications, but certainly not a be-all-end-all. Mostly I'm just enjoying giving Scott a hard time since he's (admirably) old-school. :)

And thank you both for the well wishes.

HB from me too. I have one within arm's reach safely in the box. :D I do intend to try some fish soon, it beats counting seconds in a poaching liquid. One gets lazy in old age.

Thanks to you, Cal and TheGimp.

You can do some really fun poached-in-shell eggs, too. Kenji Lopez-Alt's book "The Food Lab" has a lot of good foundations for SV, once you're brave enough to pull it out of the box. :) I'm pretty confident you'll find ways to use it for more than simply convenience. (Acknowledging that as a huge benefit)