The food thread

My cousin's annual Bbq.
Lamb on a spit that uses an old pulley driven coal auger.
Smoked and fresh sausages
Smoked Steelhead

Attachments

• IMG_20160723_153428.jpg
    IMG_20160723_153428.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20160723_161424.jpg
    IMG_20160723_161424.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20160723_172827.jpg
    IMG_20160723_172827.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20160723_172837.jpg
    IMG_20160723_172837.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 105
Joined 2014
Paid Member
The local way of doing lamb is using hazel or willow. Go out coppicing*. get two oil drum halves. Burn the wood in one and put the lamb over the other and shovel the embers in to cook it.

* Sure coppicing has its own name in other countries but in medieval times was the only wood commoners could freely gather. What is coppicing? | coppice.co.uk. Mature trees were a controlled comoddity by the squire.

I was near Digby (no chicks Cal) this week and popped in twice looking for fresh scallops, but they were sold out both times. Some "scallop days" festival in town so they can't keep them in stock. However they had some superb fresh halibut for $15/lb, it was (and will be) great on the BBQ.

Thanks Derf, yes she continues to improve. They are tapering off some of the many meds she is on, and her strength and endurance are increasing. She has sustained no permanent damage to her lungs or kidneys, so that is a relief. Isn't modern medicine amazing? A generation ago this disorder was usually fatal, and now they can diagnose and treat it.

Isn't modern medicine amazing ?

Good tidings.

Diagnosis and treatment of various auto-immune disorders has come a long way in the last couple of decades, but there's still a very long road to travel. My g/f has Sjögren's, on a prednison* rollercoaster over a 12-month period (most significant reason for our Caribbean hopping)

*for those not into the art of dope : prednison is a synthetic corticosteroïd, benefits versus serious side effects is a very thin line and highly unstable.

Half the globe tries to destroy the other half, the rest aims at saving it.
My take is in the middle, divide and conquer : conquer for the good, violently chop up the rest.

That reminds me of the summer my wife didn't notice a package is sausages that fell out of the grocery bags in the trunk of the car. Where is that smell coming from?

My friend bought a brand new dodge dart back in the early 70's. A week or so into ownership, he started to notice an odd smell occasionally, and finally after a few days he took it to the dealership. After about a half hour the mechanic came to show him the source. Opening the trunk, the floor was sort of liquid and MOVING and the smell was really putrid.

Apparently his parents had borrowed the car and left a package of meat in there after going to the grocery. Interestingly enough, the dealership cleaned out the entire trunk for free.