The food thread

I don't know how much Mexican-Mexican I've had (and I'm 100% sure it wildly changes throughout different regions), but I'm assuredly a Cali-Mex enthusiast.

If you want to explore Mexican food Diane Kennedy's books are essential. I've had Cali-Mex friends tell me mole is not real Mexican food, you are better than that.
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Mexican-Cooking-Diana-Kennedy/dp/0307383253

She immersed herself in Mexican food/culture just like Paula Wolfert did in Morocco.

Last edited:
Thanks, Scott! Will check it out.

A dearly beloved friend got me a "catch-all" Indian cookbook for my birthday some 6 months ago. I haven't gotten much past the front matter ( :/ ), so that's the next culinary priority. But, yes, I enjoy good food. I don't care where it comes from.

Pizza oven?

Anyone build there own clay brick outdoors pizza oven?

Just went to a friends pool party, and he had recently purchased a outdoors stainless steel oven ($2000). That's a lot of pie. Anyways, the pizzas that came out of the oven were awesome. It got to about 700c, and they came out within minutes. He must have made a dozen 10" pies.

I was looking on Instructables.com, and they have lots of diy ovens starting at around $200. I'd be tempted to put one together.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've had Cali-Mex friends tell me mole is not real Mexican food

I had to do a double-take when I read that! I love a good mole. When I was younger and off in my own world, my aunt was the hostess at Fonda San Miguel here in Austin. It is well known in Austin for its Mexican interior cuisine.

She contacted me one day and explained to me that Diane Kennedy was holding a private class on a Saturday afternoon and she could save me a spot if I wanted it but she needed an answer that moment. I didn't know about Diane Kennedy and asked her to explain in greater detail. She gave me all the details and I responded, "Thanks, but I have some other plans that day." Regrets? Yeah.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
My father transferred to Illinois from Texas back in the early '70's. Finding the essential ingredients in Springfield was a challenge, often having him and mother load the car up with spices, peppers, etc. when visiting family in Texas.

The wife's birthday is today and this Saturday I'm taking her to a local restaurant specializing in Peruvian cooking. I'm also baking her a traditional Peruvian cake so Saturday should be an enjoyable time with family and friends.

She misses her Peruvian dishes and that is sometimes a challenge trying to find certain ingredients to make them.

That pork rump sounds really good Gimp. Have to give that a try. Do you find that marinading a couple days is better or have you used a syringe to impregnate the meat before?

Is this also known as Annatto?

Annato is pure, Achiote is a paste done with Annato.

Yucatan pork is also called puerco pibil, i did it several times and my guests always were very surprised with the special taste annato gives.
I let the whole thing always at least for 3 days in the fridge and turn it twice per day.
When cooking it, i wrap bananaleaves around the whole pork, the rest is pretty much the same like the gymp does.

Dr Cal will see you now Mr Hock.

Experimenting with injection recipes.

Attachments

• IMG_1508.jpg
    IMG_1508.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1511.jpg
    IMG_1511.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 74
Pork turned out excellent.

10 hours in the crock pot and it was fall apart tender.

Served with sauteed peppers, onions and jalapenos, with hab sauce on the side.

My son baked fresh bread to go with it while I was at work.

Tomatoes and onions are from the garden. No bell peppers this year.

Attachments

• DSCN2818.jpg
    DSCN2818.jpg
    754.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN2819.jpg
    DSCN2819.jpg
    619.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited: