The food thread

Anyone build there own clay brick outdoors pizza oven?

Just went to a friends pool party, and he had recently purchased a outdoors stainless steel oven ($2000). That's a lot of pie. Anyways, the pizzas that came out of the oven were awesome. It got to about 700c, and they came out within minutes. He must have made a dozen 10" pies.

I was looking on Instructables.com, and they have lots of diy ovens starting at around $200. I'd be tempted to put one together.

700c is almost 1300F! I worked in a die casting plant while I was in college, and that's about the temperature of aluminum when it flows.

You can get a Weber up to 600F without much difficulty.

4L Carrot juice
8L Tomato juice
4L V-3 juice (tomato, carrot and red bell pepper)

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 131
Anyone build there own clay brick outdoors pizza oven?

Just went to a friends pool party, and he had recently purchased a outdoors stainless steel oven ($2000). That's a lot of pie. Anyways, the pizzas that came out of the oven were awesome. It got to about 700c, and they came out within minutes. He must have made a dozen 10" pies.

I was looking on Instructables.com, and they have lots of diy ovens starting at around $200. I'd be tempted to put one together.

I'm 1/2 Sicilian, so have fond memories of brick ovens nestled into hillside vineyards when visiting my Nonno e Nonna. As has been mentioned you're probably looking in the 700-800 F range, not C. :)

My parent's neighbor spent too much money on theirs and it doesn't get much above 500 F, which is a travesty. Pretty, and can still make some good pizzas, but make sure whatever you do, that it can hit those higher temps. For me, I plan on doing a Weber kettle conversion sometime in the near-er-ish future.

onion chutney

Not sure I can interest you in a fusion chutney*, caramalized onion with bilimbi** and plenty chili pepper

* Us Indonesia indoctrinated still favour fried shrimp paste as standard ingredient, and the term sambal instead.
** Speaking of mental, this afternoon I'm mailing a 5lb box of bilimbi chili sauce to the Caribbean, to have some there when I arrive in 3 weeks from now. Travelling by trolley saves lots of time on the checkin/out at the airports, but the thought of top/bottom swallowing several knotted condoms to take along some chili sauce is far from tempting. (on the other hand, if some cocai9 dog sniffed my pucker, I'd undoubtedly hit the international front pages)

Attachments

• RedFart.JPG
    RedFart.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited: