The food thread

Now that looks like a hamburger i could eat.

Yesterday's 17th birthday food quicky, didn't have time to add the sides for i took the pic.
Grilled salmon, 30 seconds each side, topped with simmered julienne of lemon, chili peppers, basil, s&p, virgin olive oil, lemon juice.

After 10K hrs of DIY cooking, it takes 2 minutes to come up with this combo, with what's in the fridge. Et voila : 6 content eaters.
Sorta makes me feel that Papa is right on the money with his 10K hrs of listening lines.

(Haa, got the chance to talk to NP, me felt like a 12-year old kid who had to audition for singing school)

Attachments

• SmellsFishy.jpg
    SmellsFishy.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Anybody like Beef Tendon? I do I just don't like the price. Around these parts we often have an oriental influence in our shopping so tendon often cost twice what chicken breast does. Go figure.

Boil the tendon in water a couple minutes, pour off and rinse.
Refill the pot partway with water and add:

soy
cane vinegar
sesame oil
chilies
5 spice
sugar
allspice
msg

Simmer for 3.5 hours then chill.
Slice and serve.

Attachments

• DSCN0593.jpg
    DSCN0593.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN0594.jpg
    DSCN0594.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN0595.jpg
    DSCN0595.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 86
Spinach in the oven !

Made this in 4 hours and was gone in 25 minutes ;)

Mozzarella topping and home made crust.

All ingredients where organic (except for the Mozzarella, I think :( )

hope this can be uploaded.

Jacco looks nice and Yummy yummy :D
I bet your cooking is a lot better than your languages ;) No es asi señor ?

Cheers,

Audiofanatic ;)

Attachments

• DSC00095.jpg
    DSC00095.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 82
Note to self: Ask someone who's cooked it before you buy it.

Case in point: the Banana bud.

Now you'd think a guy from BC would know what they need to about buds. Wrong.

When I brought this home my wife looked at me sideways and said something very unbecoming of a woman. Translated it went something like this: "Gee honey, I hope you're not going to ask me to cook that" "Why?" I asked. Silly me - more foul language.
Translate: "Why don't you go look on the internet."
Me, still smiling, went to the computer and started to read. I should have known when the first 10 sites weren't in English that this was going to be a bad experience. When I finally found English, I could hardly believe what you have to do to eat this stuff. Undaunted I went back to my wife who now had a grin bigger than a Hyaena at a cat party. "So, what did you find?"
"Well", I said, "it looks like a lot of work. How do they taste?" She looks me in the eye and says, "in Vietnam the only people who eat it are the ones who can't afford real food."
"That good?" I asked.
"That good" she said.

At that very moment I realized I had just purchased $3 worth of compost. - Sigh -

Attachments

• DSCN0597.jpg
    DSCN0597.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 56
Hi Cal- I had a similar experience this weekend. The local store had a deal on chuck steak. Two for one for a total of just over four dollars. Thats a lot of cow. Anyway I fancy myself a passable cook, so I though "surly I can do something with this" Wrong! One I tried cooking long a slow in a duch oven, and it shrank to about 1/2 its size and was tough after 2 hrs. Ate a little bit. The other I marinated overnight and it still was awfull after 1.5 hourscooking. If anyone can tell me what I did wrong I will listen. That dosen't mean that I am going out and get some more. I will however listen to words of wisdon.

No I mean as a steak. Slow cooked chuck is good for chili.

Tenderizing is important. Marinading might not be enough. Mom used to leave it in the fridge for a couple of days. The Papain is a fruit enzyme. Works slowly but has good results. Buy meat tenderizer where salt is low on the list.

OTOH Baking soda is why the beef from the beef and broccoli you eat is kind of gummy and a bit slippery on the tongue. Works faster but you often have to rinse and then marinade just to get the baking soda taste out.

Take a chuck steak and add the tenderizer both sides. Put it in a zip lock bag, squeeze the air out and put it in the fridge for a day. Next day add a mixture apple juice and worcestershire (or whatever) to the bag, Mix it all around a squeeze the air out. In the morning flip over the bag to get good coverage. Take it out that night, and grill it up.

You would be surprised my friend. My mother, always budget conscious, used to do a very large Chuck steak (for four) that way. You can imagine my surprise my first shopping trip away from the house how amazed I was to find that Chuck, the best steak I ever tasted, was also the cheapest. Problem was that when I tried to cook it, it came out like firechief's, not Mom's.

I had to call her many times over the years to find out why her stuff tasted better than mine. :)

Swiss Steak:
Put a chuck steak (or roast) in a pan and add just enough water to not quite cover.
Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, chopped onion, chopped mild peppers, bay leaf,
mushrooms, chopped celery, can of diced tomatoes.
Bring to boil then turn down to slow simmer.
Cover and monitor adding water if needed.
Cook ~ 2hrs until very tender.
Serve veggies over rice or noodles.