The food thread

Sockeye. 1 fish, thin cut . Please appreciate the plate it's on. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1543.jpg
    IMG_1543.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 115
PAIN!!!

For those of you who know what these are, I'm sure you can confirm.:bomb::hot: :flame: I do like spicy but there is a limit. The problem is I have two of these plants and have no idea as to what to do with this many Bute Jolokia peppers.:xeye:

Any ideas??

Some people have trouble growing these outdoors, but me and my green thumb seem to have no problem.:up:

Attachments

• DSCF5030.JPG
    DSCF5030.JPG
    390.7 KB · Views: 103
Why Sir, you could put 'm on oil to eat later.

And if you don't wonna eat 'm, they'll make a dandy pepper spray.
Great to scare cats and dogs away too. :clown:

Then, you can also dry&grind them up, make a cream with it.
Which works wonders if you ever wind up with skin nerve playing havoc issues.

(even more amusing for someone who devours a pint of chili paste a week. funny trivia, globally there's only one pharmaceutical company in Spain that manufactures it. for moi, a 10 year supply was made by hand, with instructions, then called a magistral cream/prescription in med lingo)

Attachments

• Hotty.jpg
    Hotty.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
:flame:
For those of you who know what these are, I'm sure you can confirm.:bomb::hot: :flame: I do like spicy but there is a limit. The problem is I have two of these plants and have no idea as to what to do with this many Bute Jolokia peppers.:xeye:

Any ideas??

Some people have trouble growing these outdoors, but me and my green thumb seem to have no problem.:up:

My brother grows hot peppers- including Black Naga Morich (*******' EVIL), Bhut Jolokia, Trinidad Scorpions, Douglas, and other wicked bastids. He trades them to local food places for eats :yummy:- if you wind up with a lot you might try doing the same. You can also make hotsauce- it's really not that hard, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, vinegar... maybe carrot. Lots of recipes out there for it.

Enjoy your :flame:

Funghi Time ...

Actually, nearly over. But with 7 days of Indian Summer (after wet) we have had a feast!

The New Forest is 30Km away and lush. Most Brits haver no interest or idea what to pick. My wife is Russian and has a keen nose and eye. I love to cook.

Photos are a typical forest scene: Going home yesterday with a basket full (one is "allowed" 1.5Kg each, strictly non commercial) and tonight's antipasti:

Fresh pasta dressed with olive oil and black pepper, freshly shaved parmigiana, with Cêpes cooked in butter. To die for.

Cêpes are rare and hard to find, but worth it!

Attachments

• 309515_225155690870961_100001295965499_545597_902314949_n.jpg
    309515_225155690870961_100001295965499_545597_902314949_n.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 111
  • basket.jpg
    basket.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Dinner.jpg
    Dinner.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
I only make hamburgers a couple times a year cause they are a bit of work to end up with a sandwich but we did last night. Sorry about the picture quality.

Take some beef and organ meat. I like kidney but you can used anything. Liver was all that was available fresh so that's what I used. Use about one half the liver you see here. Add fat. I used cooked bacon trimmings and the liquid bacon fat.
Get your trusty grinder with both the coarse and fine screens.
Strip the meat and season. Just lightly as you will be adding condiments. Here I used just seasoned salt and black pepper.

Attachments

• DSCN0579.jpg
    DSCN0579.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN0581.jpg
    DSCN0581.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN0580.jpg
    DSCN0580.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN0577.jpg
    DSCN0577.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 48
Grind about half of the beef, not the organ meat, with the coarse screen, then grind the remainder of your mix with the fine. Make your patties and get your condiments ready. Make sure when you make your patties that you don't make little footballs. You have to make them larger than the bun with a little indent in the middle so when they shrink, they go flat like those kind that are stamped out in a machine that you get at the fast food joint.

Attachments

• DSCN0582.jpg
    DSCN0582.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN0584.jpg
    DSCN0584.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 44
Patties made, condiments ready, hit the grill. High heat and a brushing of cooking oil prevents problems. This is not like regular ground beef as there is almost no sinew to hold things together. If you happen to have one of those camping grill things where you can sandwich the patties and not have to use your flipper, that much better. Not me, I like to live dangerously.

Pile it on and enjoy. :)

Also, I learned years ago that a real mans burger doesn't use any sauces, just a plain bun. If you want it heated gill it face down for a minute.

Attachments

• DSCN0586.jpg
    DSCN0586.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN0588.jpg
    DSCN0588.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 64
I watched a show called 'Crave' the night before so I had a hankering for a good ol' fashioned beef burger.

My favorite cooking show was "Two Fat Ladies" on the BBC/PBS.

My youngest son has a grinding attachment for the Kitchen-Aid Mixer -- it does a really great job, but I like the idea of adding liver etc. fwiw, Kitchen-Aid also makes a sheet-pasta attachment with which to make krusciki (probably know to Canadians of a Slavic persuasion.) Italians could use it to make lasagna I guess.

I am wondering, however, if you visit the cardiologist on a monthly basis?