The food thread

Besides Gordon Ramsay would have to kill you.

Attachments

• gr.jpg
    gr.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 101
Any tips?

Wipe it dry with a piece of kitchen paper*.
Then wrap the chicken breast multiple times in clean dry paper.

Take a plastic food container, pour a layer of coarse (sea) salt in.
Place the chicken mummy on top of the salt.
Put the lid on the sarcophagus.

(* I use pro kitchen paper, got two Tork M1 dispensers in the kitchen. It's paper that doesn't fall apart, I get it at an f&b wholesaler, no idea where else to buy decent wiping paper)

HACCP rules and regulations.
Chicken => salmonella, campylobacter
Never ever raw chicken uncovered in the fridge.

I believe we were discussing marinaded or even brined chicken and only left there long enough to dry rather than be wiped or placed on the counter where the bacteria are more likely to propagate. I can't ever see leaving raw, untreated chicken in the fridge uncovered. Anyway, you may be right but I've not had a concern. The only time recently I had an oops was when I rushed the pre-cooking of fiddleheads. Note to self: Patience is your friend.

Yesterdays dinner, some spinach with chillies, Quinoa with turmeric, curry powder and garam massala, and two quails per person and some spanish red wine. Nothing left over. :cool:

Question on the quail size, we get tiny ones in our local Portuguese market ridiculously cheap (<$1 @) but you could eat 6 at a sitting easy. Better ones are about 1/4 lb. at about $24/lb. OTOH had 1 as an entree at Benu in San Francisco that was absolutley spectacular and more than enough.

Last edited:
Salad spinner? Never tried chicken this way myself.

Salad spinner idea is very insightful. I assume OP already knows to not crowd the pan helps. Browning is often done better in smaller batches because the liquid can evaporate quicker. There will undoubtedly be some liquid that comes out if the chicken as it cooks, even if it's bone dry on the skin.

Salad spinner idea is very insightful. I assume OP already knows to not crowd the pan helps. Browning is often done better in smaller batches because the liquid can evaporate quicker. There will undoubtedly be some liquid that comes out if the chicken as it cooks, even if it's bone dry on the skin.

I suppose vigorous shaking in a fine sieve would also keep the herbs and remove the excess liquid quickly.